99-04 coilover conversion and better turning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99-04 coilover conversion and better turning

Ok well I have a few questions. Right now I have a 2000 f250 with a 6" lift and 37x13.5s. My tires do rub the springs just barely right before full lock so on top of the already pitiful steering my truck has a horrible turning radius. My ultimate goal for the truck is a 4 link suspension with coilovers and I would love to have a better turning radius. My first idea was to get an 05-07 axle, the pure performance coilover conversion and 4 link kit which would be about $2500 in just those three before buying the rest of the parts for the swap. What I am wondering now is that I know the leaf springs aren't the only thing holding the steering back, but what if I had coilovers on my stock axle and shaved the steering stops some to allow for better turning, would this work? My next question is that if that would work, what would it take to put the coil over conversion and 4 link kit for an 05-07 on my 99-04 axle? I know I would have to drill more holes in the frame, but what would have to be done to the axle? Also if shaving the steering stops would allow for better turning then r now I would just get some wheel spacers and do that until I could put an 05-07 axle under it.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2010, 11:06 AM

A 4 link set up is gonna cost you an arm and a leg for these trucks. A different option for getting your turning radius back is different offset wheels. I have the same problem with my 38s rubbing my leafs cause my offset on my wheels is set for a 35-36 inch tire. Another option is wheel spacers. Either way you will get rid of the tire rub, unless you want to spend about 6-8 grand on a good 4 link set up......
Old 12-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Sorry bud I didnt see that part about you already pricing a kit for your truck. You could do it with your axle you have now, if you have a welder
Old 12-14-2010, 11:11 AM

Yeah either go with the wheel spacers or if you want the better ride quality. Either go with the skyjacker z link for the 99-04 duty or full traction setup. Both good quality kits and from my experience installing the z link, no mods are required, just a few holes need to be drilled in the frame and thats it really. everything else was direct bolt on
Old 12-14-2010, 11:29 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
or just get the 05-07 axles and all the brackets, then it is a bolt and weld on. Someone did it on an OBS on PSN.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:23 PM

Well 4 link coilover kits for the 99-04 are very pricey so I would rather just swap in an 05 axle. But I was wondering if anyone knew how difficult it would be to adapt an 05 4 link kit and coilover conversion to a 99-04 axle? I am good at welding, but I would want to keep that to a minimum. My other question was that if you had the extra room to turn the tires, (before hitting the leafs, or say with a coilover conversion) would shaving the steering stops allow the wheels to turn farther?
Old 12-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My 04 has bolts in the steer stops to adjust the lock. I just adjusted them untill i had no more rubbing. It is tough pulling into parking places though.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:29 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I wondered the same thing about shaving the steering stops but I don't see why you couldn't go that route
Old 12-15-2010, 07:41 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you want the turning radius you need '05 up axles and suspension..I don't thing your going to get enough by grinding..maybe guess its worth a shot to try..you could get axle brackets from Ballistic fab and frame brackets and build your own 4 link..for your axle.

FYI we put 99 to '10's up axles and suspension in OBS and SD's. I'm the guy on PSN..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.