Steering play help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 05:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering play help

So my truck drives awful...Everything seems pretty tight. I replaced the end link where it comes from the pitman arm to the arm that goes to the steering arm back in the summer. Well over time it has gotten worse. I got my dad to shake the wheel and he said its not that bad but in reality its about a 1/4 turn going down the interstate and it gets tight spots in it sometimes. Its starting to worry me. But the play is in the box im pretty sure. Would turning on the worm screw help it any. My dad drove it and he ssaid its the wind but the wind doesnt blow everyday. haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 08:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you have bad ujoints in the front axles it will cause issues with the steering but most likely it is your box. Try soaking each u-joint up front with PB Blaster or WD-40 and then drive it. If that helps then you know what needs done.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

jerking/ jumping when making sharps turns in 4X4

I have the same problem with play in the front end on my 01' F350 SRW. I also have a jerking, jumping action going on at the axle near tires when turning in 4X4. Feels almost like the wheels are about to come off! Not the normal crabbing when in 4X$ though.

My first post. I appeciate the advice.. anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:03 PM

Pretty sure its not my ujoints but its worth a try Thanks bud.......Haha today when I was coming home I had a bigger problem.....I left work let my truck run for maybe a minute before I left I know its bad. I drove about 1/2 mile and crossed the interstate and was sitting in the mediun waitign on a car and noticed it was idling funny...I thought maybe cold it was about 30 degrees. I pulled out and didnt have much power and then I looked behind me and nothing but white smoke then it cleared and about 5 seconds later died. I was going down hill so I tried drift starting it and nothing. I stopped cranked a few times and nothing. I drained the fuel bowl some and tried it a few more times and it started hitting so I kept cranking and it fired up but wouldnt run very good.I reved it up some and got it to where it was back to normal. I drove home which is about 20 miles and it seemed to do fine. Im not sure if my fuel was jelled some or what the deal was.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer81_2 View Post
Pretty sure its not my ujoints but its worth a try Thanks bud.......Haha today when I was coming home I had a bigger problem.....I left work let my truck run for maybe a minute before I left I know its bad. I drove about 1/2 mile and crossed the interstate and was sitting in the mediun waitign on a car and noticed it was idling funny...I thought maybe cold it was about 30 degrees. I pulled out and didnt have much power and then I looked behind me and nothing but white smoke then it cleared and about 5 seconds later died. I was going down hill so I tried drift starting it and nothing. I stopped cranked a few times and nothing. I drained the fuel bowl some and tried it a few more times and it started hitting so I kept cranking and it fired up but wouldnt run very good.I reved it up some and got it to where it was back to normal. I drove home which is about 20 miles and it seemed to do fine. Im not sure if my fuel was jelled some or what the deal was.
Fuel was gelled up. Get some diesel 911 to keep in yer truck. Next time it happens you will drain the fuel bowl, pour diesel 911 into fuel bowl and remainder into fuel tank.

It's important to run some type of anti-gel additive in the cold weather months.

http://www.amsoil.com/a/Fuel-Additiv...mance-Improver

I use the Amsoil Diesel Recovery when mine freezes up. Running a good anti-gel additive will limit this problem though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.