Lift and tire help? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 10:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lift and tire help?

I cannot find the information anywhere to my specific question. I want to know if i can clean 37's with a five inch lift? I clear 33's stock on my OBS f250. Also why do some swear by the shackle reversal on my truck and some down it so much? I am not building a show truck and am not wealthy, but i would like to have it clear 37's one because the surplus tires are affordable and its nice when i do get to offroad and i have 410 gear which suck on the highway which is a ton of my driving.
Thanks in advance, Caleb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
No, not if you do it correctly so your suspension actually moves..
You cannot use a RS kit with the TTB..have some done it yes..doen't make it right.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 PM

I am learning here and this is where the questions are coming from, so what is the TTB? Also what is the OBS sky-fab kit for then as it says it is for my truck? This is the kit I was referring to.
92-97 F-250/F-350 front shackle reversal - Sky's Off-road Design
Old 11-22-2010, 01:10 PM

TTB is the axle Ford used in the F250.

I am a Sky dealer and also work closely with them bring new products for the OBS trucks..that said I stand by what I have said no not use a RS kit on a TTB.

If you are going to keep your truck the BEST option is to get a D60 axle to replace the TTB.

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.

Cary
Old 11-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Cary, Thanks for the input, I was just trying to find out why it is not recommended... I unfortunately do not have the funds or time while in school to do an axle conversion. So the only other route to run that large of a tire is to go all spring and have a miserable ride right? I am trying to learn the pros and cons and why you would advise against it not trying to be stubborn with you I appreciate the information... I do not use the truck off road much, some, more winer conditions and occasional camp sight navigating in colorado. But typically i commute 30 mi both way to school in the truck and also pull a small 12ft enclosed trailer with dirt bikes in it. Thanks in advance for your patience.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:52 PM

A TTB ..Only way the suspension move at all is by twisting the springs and bushings springs themselves don't do much as they are their to control the movement. They don't flex like a normal spring..D60 swap owners have found out by trying to use them..very bad ride quality.

Ford used very stiff springs on these F250's. Using a RS kit would allow a little more movement which would result in radical camber changes, faster bushing wearing and IMO make it unsafe. Lifting a TTB gets expensive as steering issues come into play that cannot be solved very cheaply..much easier and IMO cheaper overall to get a D60 and do it correctly. Your TTB wears out its bushings in 20k miles easy its the stupidest suspension system ever designed.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:58 PM

So can you tell me what all is needed to do a D60 conversion again and what the prices are? can you use the factory leaf springs or do you have to do everything different from the frame to the front wheels? Is there nothing that can be done to increase te durability of the TTB bushings and stearing components, ie bigger bushings steering stabilizer stuff of that nature? My Truck has only 82k miles on it, it is spotless and still has no play that I can feel or my other OBS friends can feel.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:15 PM

I guarantee all the bushings are shot in the TTB, shackles and springs. Nothing can be used that will last much longer..its the design..crap.

To run 37" with a D60 you will need the equivalent of a 7" lift..if you want suspension travel..lower if a wagon is ok.

You can't use stock springs.

7" requires a RS kit..3-5" I prefer the 3" for esthetic's with Icon 4" fronts and 5" rears on a 2" block. Crossover steering and a longer adj track bar and new mounts unless you want poor steering, plus all the little things.. costs..from $2-3k. Big cost is the D60 as they prices are all over the map.

You can also use SD axles from 99-04 or '05 up axles and suspension both some times may be cheaper than a D60 swap.

Really its best to save and do it once correctly. I know its not what you want to hear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.