Trac Bar Bushings - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Trac Bar Bushings

Can I replace the bushings on a factory early 99 F250 trac bar. If so where can I get them at? I ordered a set from parts geek but they must be for a late 99 because they are WAY to big for my bar. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2010, 04:37 PM

Anyone?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM

Ok, From all the reading I have been doing I have come to the conclusion that you can NOT get bushings for the early 99 trac bar. You have to get a complete trac bar(100.00). You can get bushings for the late 99 and up trucks. The best I can tell is that the only difference is the late and up trac bar is larger. Late uses a 21mm bolt where ealy 99 uses 17mm bolt. So if I drill out the hole to match I can use the late 99 on my early 99,Right? That way I can replace bushings when ever I need. OR since I can get an adjustable trac bar for about 150.00 shipped would it make since to go ahead and get one of those? Or do you have to have at least a leveling kit before you can use an adjustable bar? Thanks for any and all the help, Sorry for the long post.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey bud sorry you aint getting much help. I went and bought some for mine before I realized their was a difference in an early 99 and late 99's...I went to put them on and when I got one end out I was about to burn them out and I noticed the hole was bigger...I checked and put it back together and tried taking them back but i tore the box some and scratched the bushings and they told me they couldnt take them... i tried 2 different auto zones and still nothing...So this was back in about june and im still driving my truck it drives pretty much like a boat....Sorry im not much help....what ive been thinking about though is buying a leveling kit and getting the track bar also so I can be in good shape...Like you said about drilling the holes out I dont see why it wouldnt work.
Old 11-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer81_2 View Post
Hey bud sorry you aint getting much help. I went and bought some for mine before I realized their was a difference in an early 99 and late 99's...I went to put them on and when I got one end out I was about to burn them out and I noticed the hole was bigger...I checked and put it back together and tried taking them back but i tore the box some and scratched the bushings and they told me they couldnt take them... i tried 2 different auto zones and still nothing...So this was back in about june and im still driving my truck it drives pretty much like a boat....Sorry im not much help....what ive been thinking about though is buying a leveling kit and getting the track bar also so I can be in good shape...Like you said about drilling the holes out I dont see why it wouldnt work.
Thanks for the reply. Since I posted this I have been doing a LOT of resurch of this. Let me tell you what I have found out. Leveling kit does not need a new tract bar because the axle moves maybe 5/16 of an inch and when you go to order a leveling kit they will say, Ohhh, you have an early 99. You need this kit. which is basically the same thing only costs a little more and comes with no tract bar. You can get a new tract bar for your early 99 from Partsgeek.com for a few bucks under 100.00. Ford wants 160.00 for an early 99 and 140.00 for late 99. Go figure.

What I did was this. Since I already had the old bushings cut out of my bar I spent about 30 minutes per side with a bench grinder , grinding down the bushing making it thinner. I cut off one of the side edges and slid it in the bar. Then took the new center pin and pressed it in with my hydraulic press. THEN.. take thge factory center pin and clean it up real good. Get all the rubber off of it. If you look at it close you will see that it looks like a roll pin. Where the edges meet take a cutting wheel and cut about an 1/8 gap in it and then grind one end to a bevel. Put it on the press and drive it down the center of the pin you already installed. When it was all done it bolted back up and My truck drove straight for a change. It wasn't hard but it was time consuming, but that helped calm down my frustration If you go this rought and need help just pm me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.