Truck feels like its riding on balloons. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck feels like its riding on balloons.

Hope this is the right spot. I just had a new set of tire put on my truck. 02 f 250 4x4. Put a set of kumho 305 70 16 all terrains load range E. Well the ball joints were wore out(2 of them anyway) so I got 4 ball joints and a frontend alignment too. Now it seems like im constantly fighting the wheel. It dont really pull to one side like its out of alignment, it just feels all over the place.

Going down a straight flat road holding the steering wheel still itll start to one side or the other. Turn the wheel alittle bit to correct it and it takes off to that side, then you have to turn it back the other way.

Hope i done a half way job of explaining it, sounds stupid when I read it back to myself, but thats about it.lol I should say that the truck has 112K on it and I have the tires aired up to max pressure at 65 PSI.( even though it feels like there all half flat) Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you might need tie rods
Old 11-08-2010, 03:43 PM

I just got new tires and all 4 balljoints and alignment also. And I had the same exact problem leaving the alignment shop... It was my gearbox that had play in it. I was going down the highway and i had to correct the steering both directions. On top of the steering box theres a gear lash adjustment i gave it one full turn and it took all of that play out. You dont want to do too many turns on that because itll make your steering really stiff but one or two turns wont hurt. Do one full turn and drive it then see if you might need another turn.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:45 PM

Oh and i had all new tierods and everything. And all the steering components were new so look at the tierods first.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You may want to check and see if your ball joints were tightened up too tight. Did you have a shop do them? When you install the nuts on them through the the knuckle, if you get them too tight, it will cause the steering to sort of "bind" up. Basically, you will steer one way, then you realize the truck won't automatically straighten back up like it should. Rather, you'll have to counter-steer every time you cut the wheel.

Hope that makes sense. If this is happening, you'll be yanking the wheel back and forth all down the road to keep it from steering you off the road.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapdisk View Post
I just got new tires and all 4 balljoints and alignment also. And I had the same exact problem leaving the alignment shop... It was my gearbox that had play in it. I was going down the highway and i had to correct the steering both directions. On top of the steering box theres a gear lash adjustment i gave it one full turn and it took all of that play out. You dont want to do too many turns on that because itll make your steering really stiff but one or two turns wont hurt. Do one full turn and drive it then see if you might need another turn.
any explanation for a guy who has no idea what your talking about on how to find this to adjust it?? I could really use it on mine.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the help fellas. The ball joints and alignment was done by a good shop. I think the tie rods are ok, but ill check again to be sure.

I actually had a gut feeling that it is a little slop in the steering box. Then I kinda talked myself out of it cause of the mileage. Im gonna check into this. Ive seen the adjustment, but never messed with it. I herd that its easy to get out of wack if you dont know what your doing, thats just what I herd.

Mxracer52, I gotch ya. Ill check into that too.

Thanks again
Old 11-12-2010, 12:59 PM

There's nothing to it. just check and see how much play you have in the gearbox. Go thru the drivers side fender and grab the steering shaft and twist it by hand with the truck off and see if the moves alot when you twist it either direction.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:08 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabs View Post
any explanation for a guy who has no idea what your talking about on how to find this to adjust it?? I could really use it on mine.

I haven't done this procedure myself yet. Haven't had the time. The older gentleman that aligned my truck a few months back does this to dump trucks, semi's, and 3/4 trucks all the time. He has been in the alignment business for years. He told me how to take the slop out of the gearbox.

Make sure your wheels are straight ahead. Find the allen stud on top of the gearbox with a jam nut around the base. Back the nut off a bit, but make sure and hold the screw perfectly in place while doing it. Use your fingers from here on out. Slowly turn the screw in until you feel just a slight bit of pressure, like its touching something. Then back it off, counting the number of turns it takes. Then screw it back in like before, keeping track of how many turns you go in. You do this a 3-4 times to make sure the amount you are screwing it in is the same. This is just to double-check yourself. The key is, you don't want to over-tighten it, for fear of binding up your steering.
Once you are comfortable on the position of the screw, back it off just a bit. Hold it there with the allen wrench and tighten up the jam nut. That's about all there is to it. Start the truck up and turn the steering wheel each direction to make sure you haven't lost and travel. If it feels good, take it for a slow test drive down a street to see how it handles and to make sure you don't have any binding of any sort. IF, you do, loosen the jam nut and back off the screw just a bit more and re-test.

Good Luck!
Old 11-18-2010, 06:11 PM

thanks!! I appreciate it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.