Another shock question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 06:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another shock question

Its ashame that our roads have become so bad that I need to serious upgrade my suspension, I'm tired of getting beat up driving around town. What are the advantages of adding double shocks ? Will that help with a better quality ride. I have 5.5" of lift. 33" tires I'm looking into changing out my shocks for doubles on the front Maybe rear also just not sure if it better to go double or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to charlesrf600
Double shocks may make it rougher. Its better to get a set of shocks that have been properly valved to you combo better. Icon shocks have good reviews. That is what I plan on using.

Other guys will chime in here and give you even better information.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:49 AM

HAVE you priced them yet? I was think n bilstien. But at this point i really dunno
Old 09-17-2010, 07:05 AM

OK I don't know what i was looking at when i saw $800 per shock? but i priced them for my truck and they are $200 per shock, NOT BAD. mAY have to take a better look at these
Old 09-17-2010, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Double shocks are pretty much useless for a street vehicle and most of the guys you see running them do it for looks. The valving has to be much lighter with dual shocks or it will feel like your shocks are steel bars. The reason for double shocks is to increase the oil capacity and spread the load so that they can better control heat build up in the oil from serious off-roading.

You are somewhat hosed by having leaf springs but a good quality single shock designed for your truck will make the most difference.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking the opposite, But the roads i travel, Well its pretty grueling to my truck and me (serious on-roading) I'm going to look into a well bulit single set up. Bilstein or Icon. I need something Besides going back to stock springs and all that
Old 09-17-2010, 09:10 AM

The Icon shocks that I have on my truck ride amazing, but I've always heard the bilsteins are the best bang for the buck. I think the Icons are about 110, and the bilsteins were like 90. Looking at them, they look very similar to the bilsteins, but have a slightly nicer finish on em. I am kinda wondering if they're even made by bilstein?....
Old 09-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleE44 View Post
The Icon shocks that I have on my truck ride amazing, but I've always heard the bilsteins are the best bang for the buck. I think the Icons are about 110, and the bilsteins were like 90. Looking at them, they look very similar to the bilsteins, but have a slightly nicer finish on em. I am kinda wondering if they're even made by bilstein?....
I believe they are. I know they used to be. They are built specifically to Icon's spec though so you can't just by a Bilstein and get the same shock. They are nice shocks and I am running them on my truck.

RichardT, I hear you about the serious on roading. I work in the heart of downtown Baltimore and some of the roads I travel every day would bottom out my stock suspension. I had to lift my truck in self defense.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:05 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You can get duals valved for dual use but except for Excursions I never recommend duals. Bilsteins-Icons both great shocks and you will be happy with either. We carry both if I can help PM me.

Cary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.