Steering box replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering box replacement

How hard is it to change out the steering box? whats involed in conquering this feat? anything special before i jump on this project? aNY SPECIAL tools required? any thing special i need to be aware of before hand?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You have to be able to take the ball joint out of the pitman arm, or at least pull the pitman arm off of the steering box. You will need some kind of puller for that. My ball joint puller would work for either. Then it is just hoses, unbolt the linkage and unbolt the box from the frame.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:37 PM

I HAVE A ball joint puller Its the "c" clamp looking kind> would that do? I really haven't given it a good look yet. Changing out my trac bar tomorrow and the steering box is next.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post
I HAVE A ball joint puller Its the "c" clamp looking kind> would that do? I really haven't given it a good look yet. Changing out my trac bar tomorrow and the steering box is next.
Yeah that should work for you. You'll need a 30mm socket I believe it is for the frame mount of the track bar. It is torqued to over 400 ft/lbs so a 3/4" setup with a 3'-4' cheater on a breaker bar will definitely be your friend for this job. Good luck to you.

Are you going with a Redhead steering box or changing to hydraulic?
Old 09-15-2010, 01:07 PM

400 LBS!!! HOLY CRAP. trac bar did n't look to difficukt to change out but 400 ft. lbs is a lot. 3o mm that about 1-3/16" ? i guess i better get the wrench. AS far as the steering box I dunno. wha to get I was planning another trip to the Ford place for that. Whats the hydrulics you are talking about? I know nothing about any of that. Like i said Ford has them for bout $240
Old 09-15-2010, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I broke the sector shaft on my steering box last spring on my 99. Pretty easy to replace just make sure you have something to catch the fluid. Also they have a tool that pulls the pitman arm off. It's called a pitman arm puller and they sell them at any auto parts store for $20 or so.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post
400 LBS!!! HOLY CRAP. trac bar did n't look to difficukt to change out but 400 ft. lbs is a lot. 3o mm that about 1-3/16" ? i guess i better get the wrench. AS far as the steering box I dunno. wha to get I was planning another trip to the Ford place for that. Whats the hydrulics you are talking about? I know nothing about any of that. Like i said Ford has them for bout $240
Not being familiar with your truck I was just trying to find out if you were upgrading your steering system. A hydraulic changes your steering box out for a new one that directs hydraulic fluid to a ram that ties into the tie rod to move the wheels left or right. It eliminates the drag link and pitman arm. Usually done by guys with big lifts and big tires.

The Redhead steering box is a rebuilt to higher specs version of the stock box.
www dot redheadsteeringgears dot com

Anytime I have to replace something I try to upgrade it while I'm at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2raud4u View Post
I broke the sector shaft on my steering box last spring on my 99. Pretty easy to replace just make sure you have something to catch the fluid. Also they have a tool that pulls the pitman arm off. It's called a pitman arm puller and they sell them at any auto parts store for $20 or so.
Good point. Autozone and Advance will loan you the puller for a refundable deposit too.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:03 PM

When I was doing my lift I bought the $20 pitman arm puller and it didnt fit right so i heat it up and bent it out with my floor jack, just an fyi. Heat and lite taps on the pitman arm also help to pull it off.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:33 AM

I look at it like this, Since my stock box worked for over 200,000 why not replace it with another stock part? Seems like sometimes when you get aftermarket parts things are excalty the same. I had that problem with Front wheel bearings. So is the Redhead going to last 200k and what makes it better than stock?? Just questions not being a smart a$$ or anything. No not going to hydraulics, Sounds costly
Old 09-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Read the writeup on what Redhead does when they rebuild a box. If I was replacing my steering box with a stock type that what I would use. It's just a better box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.