Steering Stabilizer Shock Quality....? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 661
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering Stabilizer Shock Quality....?

I'm fairly new to the straight front axle lifts and stuff, I've come from 1/2 tons and have never had much of a need or desire for a dual stabilizer. Anyways, I'm looking to get a dual stabilizer(I think) because I get a pretty decent shimmy in the steering wheel at certain points while driving. Mainly when I'm going at high speed and hit a bump.

My main question is this:
Is the quality of the shock used in these stabilizers really that much of an issue that I should pay the extra to get the more expensive shock?

I'd assume that all the shocks that are sold in the kits are made for the stabilizers are made specifically for the application of being a dampener, but am I wrong there?

I guess I just don't see where I should pay $500 for a stabilizer versus a $200 one when all I'm getting is a slight shimmy. But I'm willing to if its actually necessary...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks guys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 09-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 1,567
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Most of the quality kits use shocks that are very similar as are the mounting setups (like almost identical). So no, you would not be able to feel a difference. The finish and appearance would be the main difference and some are even rebuildable. The shocks used in a steering stabilizer kit SHOULD be valved specifically for a steering type of setup since they see very slow travel and must have super stiff valving. But check with the brand you choose to make sure they use the proper shock.

Given your quality tire and wheel choice, I would venture to guess pretty much any kit out there will do the trick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,276
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleE44 View Post
I'm fairly new to the straight front axle lifts and stuff, I've come from 1/2 tons and have never had much of a need or desire for a dual stabilizer. Anyways, I'm looking to get a dual stabilizer(I think) because I get a pretty decent shimmy in the steering wheel at certain points while driving. Mainly when I'm going at high speed and hit a bump.

My main question is this:
Is the quality of the shock used in these stabilizers really that much of an issue that I should pay the extra to get the more expensive shock?

I'd assume that all the shocks that are sold in the kits are made for the stabilizers are made specifically for the application of being a dampener, but am I wrong there?

I guess I just don't see where I should pay $500 for a stabilizer versus a $200 one when all I'm getting is a slight shimmy. But I'm willing to if its actually necessary...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks guys...

I would recommend getting a dual setup that uses nitrogen charged shocks like a Bilstein 5100/5125 or the Icon Sig. Series.

It will do a much better job over an emulsion shock.

We offer BDS, RIZE or Icon brackets with either Bilstein or Icons.

I run Icon on my 2007.


Also, make sure your truck is aligned properly.....05+ trucks are pretty sensitive and prone to death wobble if not setup properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 09-15-2010, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,972
Thanks: 3
Thanked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I just added a dual stabilizer when I installed my lift. It has dual Bilsteins and there is a night and day difference between the stock feel and how it feels now. I used to get a very mild shimmy in the wheel at highway speeds and now there is no trace of it. Going over bridges and railroad tracks and stuff like that I no longer feel through the steering wheel like I did with the stock setup. I say if you are going to do it it is worth doing with quality stabilizers. I am using the TGC kit which runs $300 with the Bilsteins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 09-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 661
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks Trevor, the brackets I've seen do almost all look the same, but some use ubolts on the back side of the bracket versus a full plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSpecial View Post
I would recommend getting a dual setup that uses nitrogen charged shocks like a Bilstein 5100/5125 or the Icon Sig. Series.

It will do a much better job over an emulsion shock.

We offer BDS, RIZE or Icon brackets with either Bilstein or Icons.

I run Icon on my 2007.


Also, make sure your truck is aligned properly.....05+ trucks are pretty sensitive and prone to death wobble if not setup properly.
Not trying to come off rude, just trying to learn. What would be better about a nitrogen charged shock versus an emulsion style shock for this application? Is emulsion just a style of oil and the other is just the gas inside the shock?

I'm pretty sure the alignment is done correctly, because my installer checked it several different days since he got it all together. But if the stabilizer route doesn't work out, I'll be checking somewhere else....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Wellington Nevada
Posts: 8,510
Thanks: 1
Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Just be aware that Bilstein doesn't yet have a steering stabilizer shock out..stablizer shocks are valved 50/50 different that a normal shock. Will normal shocks work..sure but not as good as a stablizer shock will.

Did you dial in additional castor on your 4 link arms? ..factory settings are not enough have it set to 4-5* min. Make sure toe is in on both sides not just one side..may require the tierod to be poped out on the passenger side to get correct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 09-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,972
Thanks: 3
Thanked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Performance, Inc. View Post
Just be aware that Bilstein doesn't yet have a steering stabilizer shock out..stablizer shocks are valved 50/50 different that a normal shock. Will normal shocks work..sure but not as good as a stablizer shock will.

Did you dial in additional castor on your 4 link arms? ..factory settings are not enough have it set to 4-5* min. Make sure toe is in on both sides not just one side..may require the tierod to be poped out on the passenger side to get correct

Another good point Cary. I had them set mine to 4.5* when I had it aligned after my 4 link.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 09-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Keller, TX
Posts: 661
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My installer told me he recommends between 5-7* and he got mine set at 6* is what he told me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 09-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator


 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 11,972
Thanks: 3
Thanked 29 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You'll be fine there. It will cut into your turning radius a bit but will track real nice at speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: La
Posts: 421
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
JUST don't get the dual opposing Fab-tec. kit. thats what I used. I ended up have to turn my adjust sleeve on the tie-rod bar up and out of the way, and they stick down below the axle, Good thing i don't do much off-roading. Looking to get rid of it asap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors