Different Tire Size recommendations w/ same size lifts? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 10:38 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Different Tire Size recommendations w/ same size lifts?

Lately I have been debating getting a bigger lift, or just trying to cram bigger tires under my current Fabtech 6" lift. While doing research on the 8-10" lifts I have noticed that every company has different recommendations for their 6 and 8" lifts. With 6" lifts Superlift =37x13.5, Fabtech =35x13.5, Rize =37's, Pro Comp =35x12.5. I understand that back spacing on your wheel can make a difference, but if 37" will fit under every 6" lift why wouldn't that company tell people that? Im sure Fabtech has lost sales to superlift or Rize because people want 37's and they say it will not fit on their lift. Isnt a 6" lift a 6" lift? What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't know specifics but I know a lot of companies will call a kit a 6" kit but it really only gives you 5 1/4" of lift etc. Similar to how some 35" tires only measure 33.5" in diameter and some 35" tires measure 34.5", does that make sense?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonevo View Post
Lately I have been debating getting a bigger lift, or just trying to cram bigger tires under my current Fabtech 6" lift. While doing research on the 8-10" lifts I have noticed that every company has different recommendations for their 6 and 8" lifts. With 6" lifts Superlift =37x13.5, Fabtech =35x13.5, Rize =37's, Pro Comp =35x12.5. I understand that back spacing on your wheel can make a difference, but if 37" will fit under every 6" lift why wouldn't that company tell people that? Im sure Fabtech has lost sales to superlift or Rize because people want 37's and they say it will not fit on their lift. Isnt a 6" lift a 6" lift? What gives?
Most companies measure from the hub height to the fender (front wheels). Typically a 6" lift is... 6" of lift. Depending on the configuration of the front link (ours is a radius arm), the tires may hit the front bumper a little, a lot, or not at all with 37" tires. So it's not so much of a height issue as it is a clearance issue with the bumper. Most 6" lifts could probably fit 39"+ if you trim the bumper.

Yates
Old 09-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Also, you've got to think they're just trying to cover themselves if for some reason it doesn't lift a certain persons truck the same, and that particular truck can't clear the 37s. I know when I was looking at lifts the Fabtech for my truck showed a picture on 35s that looked like there was easily room for 38s....
Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM

I would guess that I can fit 37's, especially with the replacement bumper. But it looks really close to fender wheel on cab side when tires turned, and I rub the radius arm with 35x13.5 but Im sure that could be fixed with different backspacing.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I couldn't imagine that it wouldn't fit. I know my 7'' looks like I could run a 39'' with the factory bumpers. I know the 08s are different in the front wheel well, but the 35s my buddy has on his 5'' lift on an 05 looks small and a 37'' would be much better...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.