4" - 4.5" lift review - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 09:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4" - 4.5" lift review

Hello All!

I'm new to the site and have been doing a lot of reading....but, I have not found a lift kit review. If there's already one on this forum, then I apologize!

Ive owned several Duramax pickups since '01, but I'm soon to be the owner a new 2011, 6.7L, F350/SRW, KR. (I joined the dark side)

I've been looking at a lot of different lift kits, but I have not seem many comparisons of the following....

Icon 4.5" lift with 4-link
BDS 4" with 4-link
Skyjacker 4" with 4-ink

Can anyone tell me what the pros and cons are of these lifts?
And, if you can recommend a better lift, by all means....
I noticed that the Skyjacker lift is about $1000,00 less than the Icon, is this just a name brand difference, or does it reflect the quality?

Also, I've noticed that all the lift kits that are designed for the F-250 are the same for the f-350/SRW.
Therefore, will I actually be increasing the height of my vehicle by 4" since it already sits higher than an F250? And, the payload of the F350 is greater, therefore, are the springs in these kits rated for the higher payload capacity?

Thanks for your input,
Blair
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 09:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The Icon is going to be the best riding option do to their coil springs and shocks which are specifically designed for the SD.

Icon is also nice with the 4-link as it not only is adjustable, but it is adjustable on the vehicle.

Their brackets are also the beefiest out of the three mentioned.

In terms of F-250 and F-350.....front height between them is determined by what suspension package you have the truck equipped with. Rear height is more on the F-350 as they have a taller block.

Another option would be the Icon with the OUO Adjustable Link Arms which is approx. $290 less than using the Icon 4-Link.
Both are very nice options and you can't really go wrong either way, IMO.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or if you would like a package quote with wheels and tires to save a little bit of money.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 AM

If you want quaility go with the Icon. Dont waste you money on a four link set up unless you need the adjustment for some unknown reason. I had with and without the four link on my truck and it road the same. I had a pull to the right with the four link. When I remove the four link and went back to the drop down brackets the truck went straight again.
My truck is an 06 crew cab with a 4.5" Icon lift on it. My brother has an 08 GAS crew cab, snow plow pkg with the Ready Lift System 2.5" font and the 5" block in the rear on it and his truck sits 1" lower then mine. For the money the ready lift is the wat to go. You end up with the stock ride just a little higher.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you are interested in a 4 link setup you really need to look into the PMF 4 link that Trevor builds. Take a look at my thread in this forum for my PMF 4 link install and it will give you a good idea of the PMF stuff. Excellent quality and very reasonable price for what you get. I am really happy with my setup.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebir View Post
If you want quaility go with the Icon. Dont waste you money on a four link set up unless you need the adjustment for some unknown reason. I had with and without the four link on my truck and it road the same. I had a pull to the right with the four link. When I remove the four link and went back to the drop down brackets the truck went straight again.
My truck is an 06 crew cab with a 4.5" Icon lift on it. My brother has an 08 GAS crew cab, snow plow pkg with the Ready Lift System 2.5" font and the 5" block in the rear on it and his truck sits 1" lower then mine. For the money the ready lift is the wat to go. You end up with the stock ride just a little higher.
Sounds like you had something not right. I can tell you the ICON 4-link made a big difference in how the truck drove, when I installed it my truck. Definitely a plus if you have the cash to go with a 4-link or adjustable link arms like the OUO bars.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:03 PM

It looked better then haveing the big chunck of steel holding the front axle to the frame. Once you raise these trucks the radius arm just looks out of place. The four link makes up for the radius arms uglyness!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Emergency Services

Looks only? you cant be serious? LOL
Old 09-12-2010, 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=DCSpecial;2071187]
In terms of F-250 and F-350.....front height between them is determined by what suspension package you have the truck equipped with. Rear height is more on the F-350 as they have a taller block.

QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply!

Getting back to the height difference...If for instance, I had the FX4 Package, snow plow package and the camper package, I would have the highest possible setup (Not necessarily, just assuming) How much more height would the 4.5 Icon give me? Obviously the rear suspension will be whatever the difference between the stock block and the Icon block is, but what about the front? And, are the Icon springs rated as high or higher than the Stock springs for plowing applications, or whatever?
I want the height, but I don't want to lose payload capacity...

Thanks,
Blair
Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by acebir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 View Post
Sounds like you had something not right. I can tell you the ICON 4-link made a big difference in how the truck drove, when I installed it my truck. Definitely a plus if you have the cash to go with a 4-link or adjustable link arms like the OUO bars.

Agreed. My truck rides much better with the 4 link and 4.5" Icon springs and shocks than it did stock. Something had to be off on that setup. A 4 link is the only way to get enough caster dialed into a lifted truck except for the OUO arm.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Another option is the Pure Performance kits..all their kits come with 4 link arms..and yes 4 link arms will ride better than the stock radius arms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.