'00 Excursion - To buy or not to buy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'00 Excursion - To buy or not to buy

Looking at a 2000 Excursion Limited, 7.3, with 150k miles. Assuming the engine and tranny are good, and assuming NO OTHER maintenance was performed, what kind of things am I about to fix?

Suspension
Steering
axles
ball joints
etc.

If everything were needed up front, how much (at Ford) would this cost? Estimate, obviously.

Is 150k about where my monthly repair costs will make me wish I had bought something newer?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Chapter Director

Before I would buy it, get a dealer to run Carfax and Oasis reports on the Ex. You may want to get a qualified mechanic to give it a thorough going over. Maybe even ask the seller for service documentation. Doing these things will help you not inherit someone elses polished turd.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

pull oil feel check for blow bye.. tranny is prob not stock, but plan on it going out anyway.. rearend should be checked an hubs an wheel bearings.. if there all good drive it
Old 09-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubalz View Post
Before I would buy it, get a dealer to run Carfax and Oasis reports on the Ex. You may want to get a qualified mechanic to give it a thorough going over. Maybe even ask the seller for service documentation. Doing these things will help you not inherit someone elses polished turd.
Thx. Had never heard of an Oasis report. Will definitely get the Oasis report as well as carfax. Not sure how to get a mechanic to look at it - it's about 200 miles from me. Was thinking about a 'CarChex' inspection, but I don't know what they will learn from a 5 mile roadtest.

Is there a 'network' of mechanics... Actually. I'm sure there has to be a mechanic recommended by the Forums close to where this Ex is. I'm going to go that route. Still curious about items in original post - suspension, steering, etc.

thx again
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Chapter Director

An Oasis report will show you all of the work that was performed on a vehicle at the dealer. You should be able to get the report run at any Ford dealership.

If you can, ask the person or dealer selling it if you can keep it for a couple of days to "try it before you buy it" Alot will allow this. Take it to an independent knowledgeable DIESEL MECHANIC that knows Fords and throw him a couple bones to check it out. It is worth the money. I cannot tell you how many times I have read of this and other forums about people having trucks they just bought implode on them.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubalz View Post
I cannot tell you how many times I have read of this and other forums about people having trucks they just bought implode on them.
I'm one of those victims. Took my 'new' truck to my mechanic _after_ i bought it. he said it was a bad purchase and not to rely on it. I drove it to Ford, bought an '05 6.0. Signed papers, handed over keys. the truck never moved again. dumped oil all over parking lot when they tried to pull it around back.

that being said, I'm trying not to allow that to happen again. But the owner won't allow me to even take it for the afternoon to take to my mechanic. I'd put about 400 miles on it round trip, and have an evaluation that I trust. Was pretty disappointed that he said 'No'.

Might just buy a low mileage (100k) suburban... but I'll miss that diesel pull.

The comment about expecting tranny to go wasn't confidence inspiring either...
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Chapter Director

By him saying no, that should throw all sorts of red flags. I would walk away from this one. Sorry guy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.