Found the noise I've been looking for... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Found the noise I've been looking for...

So, I have no idea what the actual name is to this part so I am posting pics first.

So where the stabilizer bar (I think) mounts to the axle is clearly broken (Just recently got in a wreck and this is one of the things that hasnt been fixed yet, bad bad body shop but they are going to fix it right they tell me. But they havent seen this yet.. or they did and tried to let it slip like everything else, anyway) the piece that is broken is welded to the axle housing from the factory, so I cant just bolt on a new part.. What can I do? Is it really safe to just weld this back together, or?

To all you suspension guru's, what are my best options here? I may get bashed for this too but.. I am still driving it around in this shape (I have no other choice) the steering just feels really.. Funny. In a not so funny kind of way.

TIA. Brian.
Attached Thumbnails
Found the noise I've been looking for...-2010-09-03-17.40.18.jpg   Found the noise I've been looking for...-2010-09-04-16.15.48.jpg   Found the noise I've been looking for...-2010-09-04-16.16.00.jpg   Found the noise I've been looking for...-2010-09-04-16.17.44_kemp_texas_us.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

Looks like the mount for the track bar. Definitely replaceable. I have an 08 so I can't go out and look but it looks like the track bar mounting point shares a bracket with the lower u-bolt plate for your leafs. You could probably weld it and be fine for a long time or you could replace it, or you could remove the track bar. They are kind of pointless on a leaf sprung truck anyway, but they do help tighten the steering up if you've got larger tires.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:04 PM

Wow, fast replies, nice! Thats what I thought at first too. I figured no biggie I will just replace the broken part with the new one.. and you are correct about it sharing the bracket for the U-bold plate. However mine is actually welded to the axle tube. Looks factory too. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Found the noise I've been looking for...-2010-09-04-16.55.33.jpg  
Old 09-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Premium Member

Now I see. I've never seen the plates actually welded to the tube. Typically the top perch is welded and the bottom one comes off if you take the U-bolts out. I'd say weld it and you'll be fine. Like I said earlier, on leaf sprung trucks the track bar does very little. The leafs don't flex from side to side very much so they actually are doing the some thing as the track bar. IMO, the only reason to have a track bar on leafs is if you've got a huge suspension lift. Take it to a good welder and have him lay a bead on it. Spray a little paint on there and you'll never know it was broken.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:15 PM

Cool, thanks for the help. I will probably have to do just that. I guess a weld will hold it long enough for me anyway. As soon as I can, I plan on swapping my front axle for an 05+ one anyway. I HATE the way this thing rides. Still cant believe it just broke like that and that ford welded it all together this way.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Find yourself a good welder and have him weld that broken part back together and you'll be fine.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

thats broke on my dad's 01. only way to get a new one from ford is a new axle due to it being part of it. we welded it and it been fine ever since. being you have leaf springs you can get away with driving it well it's broken. but trevor at PMF makes a mount that moves the track bar to the shock mount on the passenger side is another way to fix it to. Remote Track Bar Mount - Precision Metal Fab
Old 09-24-2010, 04:17 PM

Hey, sorry havent been on here in a little while. Thanks for the link wired, I will probably go that route. I live down a pretty bumpy road and I bet a weld would, after some time, break.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.