Front end work - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front end work

Ok, decided to go ahead and change out my Tie rod ends and what ever else i need. Any write-ups on this kinda Work. ANd tips that i need to Know. I never done this b4 So i'll be going in blind. Any advice, Recommed tools or anything that will help me get this project done. Ive recently changed out my Ball Joints so i think i can do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
If you can do ball joints Tie rods should be easy
Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Retired Soldier!

You can buy a fork to remove the old tie rod end or you can loosen the nut until it is even with the stud on the tie rod end and hit it with a hammer to release it from the mount on the passenger wheel and the pitman arm on the driver's side(only do this if you are going to change it because it will probably damage the nut and maybe the threads of the tie rod end). Make sure you count the threads on the clamp to tie rod end before you remove it to get you close to the correct length on the entire assembly. After you put on the new assembly you can adjust your steering wheel to center if it is off by loosing the clamp on the shaft and turn it to extend or retract the length of the shaft. Like Dave said if you did ball joints you can do this.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:40 AM

OK, FORK for removal, what about installation of new ones?? HOW DOES that work??
Old 09-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Retired Soldier!

As you tighten it up it will draw the tapered stud on the tie rod end tight to the mount. That is why you will have to use the fork or hit it to remove it from its mounting location. Sometimes if they are worn they will spin on you but push on it until the taper draws into the seat. Be careful not to hit the back of the tie rod end if it has grease fitting threads you will damage them.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 AM

OK, GOT YA , Seems like i did a tractor once and the new one spun on me making it difficult to tighten up. That sounds easy enough. So get a fork to knock it loose, and to re-install put in postion and tighten the nut till its seated in . Correct. What else do i need to change while i'm under there? ANy thing that has that same kinda of Joint? Whats the bar that runs at a diag. from around the steering down to the passanger side ? that bushing is very loose when i was under pulling on things? thanks thought .
Old 09-02-2010, 06:58 AM
Retired Soldier!

Thats the one I am talking about for the pitman arm to the passenger wheel, I call it steering link. Same type of ends. Try to get it close in length to the same as old one before you put on the new one. Your steering wheel may be off but you can adjust its length to change that. Turn the link in the middle one way to lengthen it and the other way to shorten it.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Oh ok I see now, Man thanks for this info greatly appreciated. Doesn't sound hard at all "steering link" got it. Any thing else that i maybe need to be aware of? I've hear of people taking measurements in between the wheels and other places i guess it would not hurt.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Retired Soldier!

We used to do that with the Hummers to do a rough alignment, measure from inside of front of wheel with the wheels straight to the front. Then go to the rear of the wheels at the same height to make sure they are not toed in too far. This is only a rough alignment, to be sure you of alignment you should take it in to be verified if you change a lot of the front end steering components. Otherwisw it is hard on your tires which ar expensive on our trucks.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Yea its going to the alignment shop after i finish It needs one, Our roads here are quite rough. you need a serious off-road suspension to be on-road Thats another reason i wanted to get it all done, i know they are bad because i'v been under there So now it the time. after i get this done i'm going to change out the steer box, I may try to tighten it up like some say to do to give me more time. But it rides rough & its kinda sloppy. Looking at different shock set-ups also having a hard time finding & deciding what to go with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.