Truck Wanders After ICON 2.5 Install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 06:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Wanders After ICON 2.5 Install

Hey guys, I recently installed an Icon 2.5 inch levelling kit, adjustable track bar and dual steering stabilizer with 35 inch toyo MTs on my 05 f350 Harley. Everything I read on here said Icon was the best which is why I bought all of their components from Trucktoyz. Well, the truck drives Ok without a trailer on, not great but liveable. However, with my 26 foot travel trailer on it feels like I'm in a wind storm at any highway speeds, it wanders all over and catches every pavement imperfection. A two hour trailer trip was a white knuckle affair. The truck has rear airbags which I aired up to 60 psi and the trailer has equalizers which I shouldn't even really need with a 6100 lbs trailer and a 1 tonne truck. I've had it aligned twice, and we did install the castor shims that came with the kit, however even with the shims the truck only has .25 degrees of castor, (however the SAI was within spec) My alignment tech called ICON to ask for a fix but they have NOT been helpful and keep giving the "I'll get back to you" runaround. What would you guys suggest, what should I look at first? Do you think I would need a dropped pitman arm with only a level kit? What about a kit to move the swing arms back, which should net me some more castor? Can I tighten the steering box? Is there another way to get more castor out of this truck? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Tyler
Oh yeah, and without air in the bags the Icon kits sits about 1 inch nose high, not 'level' which is a bit of a piss off. On the bright side I think the truck looks good with air in the bags, here's a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Truck Wanders After ICON 2.5 Install-img_0469.jpg   Truck Wanders After ICON 2.5 Install-img_0473.jpg  

Last edited by 70cuda; 08-26-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i know that a lose track bar will cause a wonder filling. and with the shims in you should be at 2.5 + deg of castor not .25 deg. You don't want to be within sai spec for castor. i like 3.5 to 4 deg of castor with a 1 deg split for road crowning and that helped alot with how the truck goes down the road. I would say you need more castor and check the track bar because it needs 400+ ft lbs to be tight. And for hight see if it settles some or get bigger rear blocks, do you know what size blocks you have now?. And good looking truck to
Old 08-26-2010, 06:36 PM

Both ends of the track bar are supposed to be torqued to 400 ftlbs??? I know I need more castor but how do you get it on these trucks once the shims are installed, there is no other adjustment that I can see? thanks for the compliment
Old 08-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda View Post
Both ends of the track bar are supposed to be torqued to 400 ftlbs??? I know I need more castor but how do you get it on these trucks once the shims are installed, there is no other adjustment that I can see? thanks for the compliment
no just the top end by the drivers side needs 405 or something like that. and you just have to change out the shims to a shim that has more castor. any good shop can get them.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:00 PM

yeah, but the shims I put in I was told are the max shims they make, I think 2.3s

Here's a few pics, anything I've installed wrong? Also forgot to mention the new springs have a bit of arc to them, are they supposed to? How long will it take for the springs to settle? I would think that as the truck settles it will improve the castor
Attached Thumbnails
Truck Wanders After ICON 2.5 Install-img_0493.jpg   Truck Wanders After ICON 2.5 Install-img_0494.jpg   Truck Wanders After ICON 2.5 Install-img_0495.jpg   Truck Wanders After ICON 2.5 Install-img_0496.jpg  
Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Give the toyo's time to wear in, The tires wander a little brand new from what I have seen.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:23 PM

Never heard that before, how many miles would you figure for the MTs to wear in?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
you know the castor cams are different for left and right. You didnt put them on the wrong sides did you?
Old 08-26-2010, 08:23 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Something definitely looks wrong on that coil spring:

Old 08-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFireman1972 View Post
Something definitely looks wrong on that coil spring:

Agreed. Is it secured correctly in the lower mount?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.