Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ball Joints Install

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  shocka04 
#1 ·
Was going to change out the ball joints this weekend. I found the instructions for them, and was wondering what else I should replace while I'm working on this? I saw that I should replace the axle and dust seals but is there anything else? Any tips when doing this install?

#2 ·
Hub bearing o-ring, dust seal, and the axle shaft seal. The axle shaft seal is a pain to press on yourself, but you can take it just about any automotive repair shop including Ford, and most do it for free and I just give them $20 to say thanks.

Plan to change the gear lube as well.

You can rent a ball joint press tool from an auto parts store. You will want an impact to use with the tool, makes life much easier.

Use a good set of jack stands and use TWO jacks, one on each side to lift your truck. Don't lift your truck up with one jack at the center of the axle.

#4 ·
You may also want to find the tool that helps press the seal back in the knuckles that is on the outer axles- without it, its a pain. You definitaly want it if your still using your factory hubs so you don't have a leak.

#6 ·
I just did mine this weekend! it said in the procedure that it would take 8 hrs on the one side and 4 to 8 on the other cause of what you learn on the previous side. it took me 2 and a half hours for both! not too bad if you have the right parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.