too rough a ride? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool too rough a ride?

Ok keep in mind I'm a girl, but would like some suggestions, my husband and I just bought a new 5th wheel, and are still looking for the right f350 diesel to haul it (put the cart before the horse) We are being picky and know what we want a crew cab short box, we have test driven quite a few now, and they vary greatly on the ride, we have heard all the usual, " the 350's have the stiffer suspension" "the shorter wheel base makes it rougher" but really now, my husband and I drove a 2006 f350 shortbox, that rode like a dream, it was a bit taller than I liked with the more aggressive bigger tires, it had a leveling kit, and airbags for towing, we have gotten mixed oppinions on this one, some say thats what did it, but others shake their heads saying that's not it, has anyone out there got the real answer, same trucks ride so different? Wondering if there is anything else after market that could change it so much, that truck spoiled it for me, please help I'm not getting any younger here, been looking for a truck for almost a year now. We may have found the right truck, but the ride will kill my back before we ever get to the campgrounds. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
first welcome to the org!!

the one you found should be ok.

how long is this fifth wheel?
Old 08-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi Jarrod, Thanks for the quick reply to my question, the 5th wheel is 31 ft, actual measurement about 33ft. what do you think about the airbags? do you think they could have made the difference? I really thought the one we test drove tonight was too rough a ride, my husband said he will put in the air bag suspension, and maybe swap out the wheels (20") for 18 or 17, but the tires are new on it, so not sure about that one, its already pretty high up, I'm kinda small, the first time we test drove it I hurt myself getting down, would the airbags make it even higher?? Have you put them on also?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Banned

i dont have air bags but it helps level out the truck when pulling a trailer like that.

not really. air bags wouldnt raise it much if any. does the truck have steps?

plus ive heard 20" have a rougher ride over all. but depends on the tires too
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yes it has a step, and it's a nice wide one, but it's far from the step down, if you know what I mean, now the one that sold that had the smooth ride it had big tires it too, the only diff that was known was that it had a leveling kit and airbags, that's whats so confusing about it, most of the 350's we test drove had pretty rough rides, after all it's a truck, the only other truck we tested that was that smooth was a chevy, but my husband won't even consider that :-) thats why the question came up about the airbags, I would love to have that smooth of a ride in this truck we drove tonight, and just need to know that we can modify it in some way to make that happen. Do you pull anything with yours?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

occasionallyi do. but they are bumper pulls. and since i live in the country, roads are bad. and grew up with trucks so rough rides really doesnt bother me yet. lol

the heaviest ive pulled is in the 7k mark which was another 350 being pulled for repair. truck was weighed down enough that i didnt feel any thing.

these trucks were tested empty right?
Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, they are empty when tested, I've heard they ride smoother when you have them weighed down a bit, the 5th GVW in about 13,000 I think. I will let you know if we decide on that one down town here or just keep looking, it has about 99k mils on it and is a 06 the amount of miles isn't great, would like it to be lower but everyone says thats just broken in for a diesel :-) we will see eh? I'm sick of looking, so may take your word for it, and it will be fine. Thanks, I will let you know what happens next, maybe a trip to Les Scwab for a look and talk about air bag systems....
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM
Banned

99k mi on a 2006 6.0 isnt bad. and hopefully its been maintained so there will be minimal repairs to be made if any. just do the general checks, oil air, look at the repair history.....

true. smoother ride under weight lol.

i bought my 99 last year with 119k on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.