Shocks being used on bigger lift than intended for? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shocks being used on bigger lift than intended for?

I got a buddy--maybe more of a dude I just know-- that wants to sell me a set of Fox non Resi shocks that are intended for a 6'' lift, but he's currently running them on a 10'' lift. Questions:
1) Will the shocks be messed up after running them on the wrong application?
2) Would the shocks even work on a 10'', in other words, is he possibly lying about the measurements of them?

Thanks in advance guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Anyone out there..........?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
he probably either rotated the lower mount on the axle to where it reached higher, or flipped the upper brackets. You can do either (or both I guess) to use shorter shocks on a bigger application. You could ask him and see. If you want some more info on that, pm Scott (Username is Pahrump). He can probably help you out.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:37 AM

Well.....theres no real lift amount dialed into shocks...you need to know the extended length, collapsed length, and the travel. Basically you want to have the shocks mounted so that half the travel (shiny shaft part) is in the body. Meaning if its a 12" travel shock you can see 6" of the shaft with the truck at ride height.

So lets say its a 12" travel shock 28" total length. And from the lower mount to the upper mount on your truck is 24"

That would mean that when installed there would be 8" of shaft showing...giving you 4" inside the body...this would work fine..not ideal but would work fine...I would not go less though, it will hurt the ride if you dont have down travel (if the axle cannot droop) and it will hurt the shock over time.

In the rear on your truck you can cut off the upper shock mounts and flip them over..install with new grade 8 bolts and this will give you about 6" more reach..meaning you can use a 6" shorter shock than with the way the truck is from the factory.

The front theres nothing you can do.

FOX non rezzie shocks are not very expensive....check DownSouthMotorsports talk to Marco
Old 07-30-2010, 05:11 AM

From what I gathered from talking to him, he just pulled them out and put em on. They're supposedly made for a 6'' lift, but he is running them on a 10''. He says he's never driven the truck since he put em on. I doubt that he actually modified anything. The idea that he and I had was that he had 6'' shocks that are brand new, but they're on a 10'' lift. So, I was gonna buy those from him for my lift from Trevor, and he was going to order new shocks.

I just want to make sure that if he drove a little on them that they wouldn't be ruined.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:41 AM

Odds are they are fine....have him measure the shocks..extended, collapsed and the travel...thats the total length of the shaft when extended, and use those measurements against what yours are to see if they are going to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.