Front hub assembly - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Front hub assembly

Alright, here is the deal.

I have two new front hub assemblies coming in the mail. I am getting ready to replace both. I need a few questions answered and maybe a link to good write up. I have found a few write up's, but no one answers what I want to know. What else do I need for this project.

Yellow O-ring?
Any extra seals?
What size is the nut behind the locking hub?
Do I need some high temp grease?

I have a jack, jack stands, PB, a good socket set, vise,...etc. snap ring pliers.

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A flexible head for taking off the nuts on back side of the knuckle helps. That nut your refering to isnt actualy a nut. It willl come right off with your hands, its a spacer....
Old 07-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Swivel extension=check

Cool, I was dreading going to buy a socket that size lol. It looked awful thin from pics

Thanks

Anyone else?
Old 07-01-2010, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Its actually really simple. For the nuts on the backside of the knuckle you can turn the wheel to gain better access. I had to do that on the pass side in november but today was able to get my driver side off no problem. Both bubs came off the knuckle with ease. If you pull the axle there are two seals on that i would replace. The one you need a specialty tool to install. I can tell you how to make it for $10 with pipe from local hardware store if you need it. Yellow o rings usually come with the new bearing. there is no nut behind the locking hub just a snap ring. I greased up mine when putting it back on before not sure if its necessary. good luck any questions pm me and i will try to help
Old 07-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Alright thanks...I saw in a write up where someone had made the "specialty tool" like you were talking about. I doubt I'll be pulling the axle. But cool then, sounds like I just need to pick up some high temp grease and Ill be set!

Thanks man, I'll pm you if run into any probs.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ya no problem i only pulled my axle's because i could visibly tell the seals were bad and then i was happy i pulled them since i found a bad u joint yesterday that might have been part of my steering problem i will find out when i get it back together good luck
Old 07-03-2010, 07:12 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Easy job, for sure.

Knock both outer tie rod ends off the spindles, so you you can turn the spindle back and forth real easy. 21mm socket on a 1/2" gun, blast them nuts off, hub and snap ring off, air hammer the bearing out on the old studs, wipe 'er down, put the new bearing in, do 'er up, call 'er a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.