Serious hopping problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Serious hopping problems

My brother and I hooked up back to back last night on the pad, and I was sure I was going to take him being that I have 35x12.50 all terrains and he has super-small stock tires on his mega cab. Anyway, he killed me twice; from each end of the pad

The major issue I ran into was my truck was hopping - bad. I mean so bad I couldn't even apply any pedal to it - all I could do was let off the brake just about. It was a fast hop - not the whole truck at once hoping slow like my Bronco used to do, but as in all the tires(especially the front) quickly bouncing up and down. Pretty much the same thing all around as what pickups do in the rear when spinning in the sand while unloaded...

Both of us were in 4lo, his truck didn't hop at all - just straight drug me around like a damned lawn trailer

Anybody ever run into this issue too? I know my shocks are all not exactly new, but I've seen other SD's do this so mabye I just have to live with it. My truck has a leveling kit and the BFG's but that's it.

-Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
Are your gears in the front and back the same haha?? my 96 did that when I had 3.55 and 4.10s
Old 06-27-2010, 06:52 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
. dam fun night.

wat ur talking about is axle chatter, my truck doe sit BAD in loose dirt when i jus barely spin. if i hit the throttle i can power thru it. i talked to a guy about it on the cumminsforum, he says it does it because there is too much air in the tires. shoulda aired down, then maybe ida had to actually giv it some throttle to pull u bak.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereku View Post
Are your gears in the front and back the same haha?? my 96 did that when I had 3.55 and 4.10s
No actually I have no idea - the tag in the door says I have 3.55's, it sure runs like I have 3.55's, but then again I bought it used so they could be anything. I need 4.10's anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel View Post
. dam fun night.

wat ur talking about is axle chatter, my truck doe sit BAD in loose dirt when i jus barely spin. if i hit the throttle i can power thru it. i talked to a guy about it on the cumminsforum, he says it does it because there is too much air in the tires. shoulda aired down, then maybe ida had to actually giv it some throttle to pull u bak.
I know what its called - I need to know how to get rid of it. That was BS - hell I had a hard time gettin to my end of the pad with that CC F150 in tow And what's weird is mine does not do it while in the dirt like you're talking about - and like it was doing when you were trying to get off that hill last night

I was thinking about the air pressure too last night and I wanted to air down, but I had no way of airing back up again. I wasn't about to roll home pulling the quads with 10psi of air in my tires. I'm still thinking I need new shocks - if they were new and valved right I think they'd be better able to control the spring movement...

Oh, and you may be bale to power thru in the dirt, but there was no way I was going to try that on the pad and tear my shiz up. It was fun though - we had quite a crown out there by the time we were done
Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccraney View Post

I know what its called - I need to know how to get rid of it. That was BS - hell I had a hard time gettin to my end of the pad with that CC F150 in tow And what's weird is mine does not do it while in the dirt like you're talking about - and like it was doing when you were trying to get off that hill last night

I was thinking about the air pressure too last night and I wanted to air down, but I had no way of airing back up again. I wasn't about to roll home pulling the quads with 10psi of air in my tires. I'm still thinking I need new shocks - if they were new and valved right I think they'd be better able to control the spring movement...

Oh, and you may be bale to power thru in the dirt, but there was no way I was going to try that on the pad and tear my shiz up. It was fun though - we had quite a crown out there by the time we were done
i wasnt gonna go public with that.

not here was no way u could power thru wat ur truck was doin. the more throttle u gave it the harder it chattered. i think if ida aired down to 40psi (instead of 80) i coulda takin the v10 on 36s.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel View Post
i wasnt gonna go public with that.

not here was no way u could power thru wat ur truck was doin. the more throttle u gave it the harder it chattered. i think if ida aired down to 40psi (instead of 80) i coulda takin the v10 on 36s.
I don't mind it being out there; I'm not going to cry over it. Its not like he out-powered me; back to back is a traction game, and its hard to get any when your tires are jumping off the ground 100 times a sec. He had some pretty nice tires too though...

What also was weird was that he (Mr. F150) was coil sprung too and he wasn't hopping around like a jackrabbit either, and neither were you I dunno - maybe tire pressure had something to do with it as well. I'm still thinking shocks though.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.