Hard to steer!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard to steer!!

I have 12" fabtech on 40" m-16s on 24s. I know this is slot of tire to turn but, my last f-250 had 37" pro comp m/ts that were wider than these and turned fine! I just had the hydro booster replaced and it's still hard to turn, is it the powersteering pump? My mechanics said the hydrobooster runs the steering and brakes. My brakes had a bad wine to it when you hit them and vibrated on the brake pedal. With the new one it still dose but not as bad. He wants to change out the brake block under the hood. Do y'all think it's what he says it is are the power steering pump? He says it's hard to steer cause of the tired, I call b.s. On that! What do y'all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

He's right that your booster is "charged" with the PS pump. Hard to diagnose the problem from here. Try another shop and see what they say? Mine is very hard to steer when turning the truck around at slow speeds but fine on the open road. You cannot turn the steering wheel at all unless you are rolling. I get a lot of tire rub on the springs too.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:04 AM
Chapter Director

I have an 06 with a 4.5" lift and running 35x13 tires and even after installing a Redhead steering box, dual steering stabilizers, a second alignment and a MUCH lighter wallet my truck still tracks the road (wants to follow the contours of the road) My ball joints and all front end components have been checked and rechecked and nothing is worn out. I am convinced that installing a lift on these trucks causes alot of steering issues that cannot be fixed completely. I love the look of my truck but not steering issues.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What year is your truck?

Do you know what your caster is set at?

What kind of steering stabilizer setup are you running?

On the 05+ trucks the caster and stabilizer setup will effect how hard they are to steer.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am having the same problems with my 06 F250, 4" lift. I just replaced the power steering pump and it didn't change anything. When you put the wheels in the air, there is no binding or any issues. This is a real pain in the rear when trying to use trailers and getting around town. Anyone know of a solution, don't really want to take the lift off.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a fabtech dirtlogic steering stabilizer. My brakes still wine when I press the brakes. I can barely turn when I get on the brakes hard and try to turn, it also dosent turn good when in parking lots or parking. I dont know what my caster is set at. I am getting it re-aligned in the morning, cause it is pulling to the right.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Maybe it's a steering stabilizer issue, not sure? I have no idea what my caster is set at either. Let us know if the alignment fixes anything.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

I have the same problem. 36.15.5 tires and I can not turn the wheels unless i am creeping. Even then anything under 10mph is a work out. It steers fine at highway speeds, but it does follow the ruts and groves a lot. But that is the draw back for the wider tire. I am sure if I went to a narrow tire the tracking problems would be less annoying, but the looks is the main thing.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:04 AM

Depending on how bad it's following the ruts in the road it may not purely be due to a 15.50" wide tire, itself.

I run 15.50s on 12" wides under my 01 with no real tracking problems.

10" wide wheel will make it wander a lot more.

And the caster being too negative will also make it wander more and follow imperfections in the road.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
10" wide wheel will make it wander a lot more.
What's the science behind this? Not trying to say you're wrong. It's just that I have 10" wide wheels and mine will pull a little if driving along a low spot. Seems like the wider the wheel, the more it will pull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.