Traction Bars - Single Bar or Ladder Bar? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Traction Bars - Single Bar or Ladder Bar?

I've searched all over and can't find a solid answer on this. I'm doing a 08+ Leaf Spring Conversion on my 05 model. I am going to do a traction block setup at the same time. Basically there are two types of setups available. I'm wanting to know the advantages/disadvantages of the two setups. I don't want to hear how "awesome" and how popular a certain brand is, I want to know the physical advantages and disadvantages of these two setups:

A) A single bar traction bar setup with a solid mount on the frame end. This would be like the OUO setup:

B) A "ladder bar", two bar setup, with a shackle mount on the frame end. Like the PMF style setup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My experience with triangulated bars with shackle mounts (Rize and Fabtech traction bars) is that under certain circumstances they do bind due to their design. Which is why we've had customer's break both the Fabtech and Rize bars.

I have seen triangulated bars that do not bind.....but they are designed differently.

I have run the OUO style bar on my 07 for over a year and have been very happy with it. It is designed very well and I haven't experienced any binding.

Back when DR used to make traction bars, those bound up very badly on my 01 and those were a single tube, but a different design.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

A traditional single bar design, such as one that has a solid mount on the frame and axle will bind suspension at some point. The springs do compress on a radius so a solid fixed design cannot allow them to articulate fully.
The OUO system is far better than a traditional fixed mount setup. It allows more articulation that what a traditional fixed mount does aswell as allowing the axle to float side to side better. A single bar system can be built stronger for less money than a floating setup aswell as allowing great adjustability.
The advantage of a floating system is the shackle allows full movement of the axle. The strength of the floating system relies on the bars and gussets entirely. The entire load of axle wrap is put almost entirely on the bars themselves. The new PMF bars run 2 tubes full length all the way up to the joint. The front heim joint has been eliminated and replaced with a rebuildable uniball.
In all honestly, all bias aside, you will be completly pleased with either setup or company. Should their be any disappointment with PMF's I'm sure they will be there to back their product.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:09 AM
Emergency Services

Thanks for the info, hopefully some more will chime in.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 AM

I had the Fabtech floating bars and broke them with a measly 6.0L. I am not the only one to do this. The torque load on the bars is huge and requires either better design or materials/construction to withstand the power and torque of modern diesel trucks. I now run OUO bars with the bolt on axle bracket.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:53 PM

Rize best kit by a manufactor IMO. Correctly made ladder bar with a shackle best DYI
Old 06-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Emergency Services

I have heard nothing but bad things about Rize traction bars. You are the first to ever say anything good.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is that a slip joint on the OUO bar?
Old 06-10-2010, 05:34 AM
Emergency Services

That's an adjustment for the length. Once it's in place, you tighten it down. It's not a slip joint like on a tranny.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Rize best kit by a manufactor IMO. Correctly made ladder bar with a shackle best DYI

We've had customers break Rize bars.....had two of them go earlier this year.

They can and will bind, I've seen it first hand as I watched a customer "maneuver" his truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.