ever fab your own drag link? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ever fab your own drag link?

thinking about buying some dom tubing and welding some threaded inserts in the ends of the tubing and put some heim joints with high misalignment spacers and call it my new drag link and then get myself an angled steering arm hoping it might kill the weird noise ive been hearing every once in a while. anyone ever make your own drag link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 12:04 PM

not sure if anyone will post but the reason im doing this is because the angle of my drag link i believe cracked the boot on my tie rod end at the pitman arm and at the steer arm its butting against the steering arm itself because of the angle. maybe ill throw up some pics for examples and ill show some before and afters. i hope it helps out my steering issue. i dont like having steering issues. because if your steering disappears when your driving you can die lol. which isnt fun cause that means bye bye boobies and beer
Old 06-06-2010, 02:35 PM

Might want to consider a crossover design. Just saying.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:48 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
you could make your own and make it a cross over at the same time. 11inches of lift needs a crossover. I run one with only 4.5inches
Old 06-06-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereku View Post
you could make your own and make it a cross over at the same time. 11inches of lift needs a crossover. I run one with only 4.5inches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betaracer View Post
Might want to consider a crossover design. Just saying.
the truck already has standard crossover. still gotta get an angled steering arm though. i gotta fix it otherwise ill just keep eating tie rod ends. i hope the angled steering arm helps out a good amount. i doubt it but i kinda think the funky noise might be from the drag link. the drag link sits forward from the steer arm where it connects. not sure if its common for that, i would think they would stay almost parrallel if that makes sense
Old 06-06-2010, 05:00 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
The top arm is farther forward?? Mine is like that.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 PM

yea the pitman arm points more forward. im sure thats how its suppose to be though. so the pitman can move left to right with the same pivot stuff or whatever
Old 06-12-2010, 05:50 PM

I'm running DOM drag and center links with chevy tie rod ends on my truck. Here's where I got my parts Complete Off Road | Your Source for Off Road Parts - Axels - Driveline Parts and More
Old 06-14-2010, 07:53 PM

i was gonna make another thread but idk, ill just post the couple pics here. havent received the dom tubing itself yet, but when i do ill make a measurement cut it and weld the inserts in and get the steer arm and pitman drilled out to 3/4. sucks though ballisitic fab didnt have any right handed threaded rod ends so i ended up with two left handers. i might just send one back to them and get it exchanged for a right handed one instead. thing is though the guy told me the parts would show up in 2-3 days or so but it ended up taking the usual about 8 days
Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM

heres the rod end with the misalignment spacers n safety washer. i hope its not to much of a bish to get the steer arm drilled to 3/4. probly break my drill, i hope i dont though
Attached Thumbnails
ever fab your own drag link?-96-powerstroke-004.jpg   ever fab your own drag link?-96-powerstroke-005.jpg   ever fab your own drag link?-96-powerstroke-006.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.