Big lift question, 05 f350 on 12-14" of lift. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jason.
Big lift question, 05 f350 on 12-14" of lift.

The truck currently has a 10" fabtech lift consisting of 8" coil springs and a 2" spacer, and 8" rear springs with factory blocks. The rear sits about an inch and a half higher than the front, I'm wanting to go to a 22x11 wheel with a 40x15.50x22 toyo mt, and I want to truely clear it, meaning turned at full lock and hitting a bump with no rubbing. I'm thinking I'm going to be able to get by with 12" of front lift, but I'd like 14". I'm not touching the rear as of right now.

What I was wanting to know is, is there a company out there that makes a 12 or 14" lift coil spring that I could just buy, buy longer shocks, and drop the radius arms down a little bit to push the axle back forward, or when you go that big do you actually have to use a coilover shock?

I'm not new to lifting trucks, but I've always had a leafsprung truck to where you just buy big springs and shackles and you're set so this is fairly new to me I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 12:25 PM

I dont think theres a BIG coil...but I have seen many a 4" coil spacer on top of an 8 or 10" coil...heck RIZE does this with their 12" kit...8" coil and 4" spacer.

If your running radius arms...you may have a bit of an issue...not sure what kit you have but superlift makes some small parts that go on the axle end of the radius arm to help with caster..you can buy them separate I think like $60 each side..you may be able to get away with doing that.

I can see getting to about 12"...I almost did this myself...and I think my brother is going to do this...but I dont see 14" really...not without 4 linking it IMO...but...I dunno
Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahrump View Post
I dont think theres a BIG coil...but I have seen many a 4" coil spacer on top of an 8 or 10" coil...heck RIZE does this with their 12" kit...8" coil and 4" spacer.

If your running radius arms...you may have a bit of an issue...not sure what kit you have but superlift makes some small parts that go on the axle end of the radius arm to help with caster..you can buy them separate I think like $60 each side..you may be able to get away with doing that.

I can see getting to about 12"...I almost did this myself...and I think my brother is going to do this...but I dont see 14" really...not without 4 linking it IMO...but...I dunno
Yeah, I have the 8" fabtech radius arm kit with a 2" spacer, so you think adding a 4" spacer and taking the 2" one out would work, what about steering? I see rize makes a cool kit, but I'm not spending that kind of money if I don't HAVE to.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:57 PM

if you want to go that large, you definately want to 4link it, not radius arm it... as for the "big coil" Eibach will make any coil at any spring rate you need... however, rather than coil and shock, why not do a coil-over? its much better ride, and much better control
Old 05-28-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason. View Post
Yeah, I have the 8" fabtech radius arm kit with a 2" spacer, so you think adding a 4" spacer and taking the 2" one out would work, what about steering? I see rize makes a cool kit, but I'm not spending that kind of money if I don't HAVE to.
I would get the superlift parts to help with caster, I would use a 4" spacer or a 10" superlift spring and 2" spacer...but I hate how superlift rides so probably an 8" spring 4" spacer.

Flip the track bar to the top...and use an adjustable one..Icon..or Trevor at PMF can make you one...and use a custom drag link..one piece with joints on either end. Stock drag linkw WILL WORK with an 6" drop pitman arm...I am running this on my truck now at 14-16" of lift..is it right...no...but Trevor is building my drag link as we speak.

You can built it and build it in-expensive if you want to...and nothings wrong with that..theres a lot of "by the bookers" around here...so keep that in mind when you post up threads such as this.

You can do this and make it "right" and make it ride good. As I mentioned above...I am about to do the same thing to my brothers 08.

Check out a user here LBR...hes from La and is running kinda what you want to...radius arm kit at bout 12"

EDIT: I had 10-11" of lift and I cleared 40x14.50x22 M16s pretty well

BTW...the lift on my truck in those pics started at a 6" stage one Procomp kit.....I was told it would never ride right, nor steer....funny....I had over 30K miles on it like this and now its on a friends 2010 superduty and he says its bout the best riding/driving lifted truck hes ever had
Old 05-28-2010, 01:39 PM

when did you get those wheels and tires? and are you done installing the air ride yet?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunesRunner08 View Post
when did you get those wheels and tires? and are you done installing the air ride yet?
I had those for a while...not anymore as they are on a friends truck...but I had them for a good while.

Yeah I am about done...Trevor is still working on a few things with the sway bar, and drag link..but its bout done.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:11 PM

thats badass... trevors kits are top notch
Old 05-29-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahrump View Post
I would get the superlift parts to help with caster, I would use a 4" spacer or a 10" superlift spring and 2" spacer...but I hate how superlift rides so probably an 8" spring 4" spacer.

Flip the track bar to the top...and use an adjustable one..Icon..or Trevor at PMF can make you one...and use a custom drag link..one piece with joints on either end. Stock drag linkw WILL WORK with an 6" drop pitman arm...I am running this on my truck now at 14-16" of lift..is it right...no...but Trevor is building my drag link as we speak.

You can built it and build it in-expensive if you want to...and nothings wrong with that..theres a lot of "by the bookers" around here...so keep that in mind when you post up threads such as this.

You can do this and make it "right" and make it ride good. As I mentioned above...I am about to do the same thing to my brothers 08.

Check out a user here LBR...hes from La and is running kinda what you want to...radius arm kit at bout 12"

EDIT: I had 10-11" of lift and I cleared 40x14.50x22 M16s pretty well

BTW...the lift on my truck in those pics started at a 6" stage one Procomp kit.....I was told it would never ride right, nor steer....funny....I had over 30K miles on it like this and now its on a friends 2010 superduty and he says its bout the best riding/driving lifted truck hes ever had

See, thats crazy how your 08 cleared those 40s, my 10" of lift rubs a little with my 38s, but that is because the axle is pulled back a little because the radius arms arent dropped any at all. I may just get a 4" spacer and some brackets to drop my radius arms down a little for now, and then look into a 4link conversion kit.. Do you think I would HAVE to flip the track bar with 12" of lift? I see when you were on 40s and 22s it looked like you had a stock drag link and trac bar so I'm hpoing if I do it I can get by for a little bit, I know it's not by the book but if its still right, and works, who cares.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:20 AM

I recommend Pahrumps Idea, The guy really knows his stuff. But if you are wanting to get a complete bolt on kit that is 12", 14", or even 16" I would look into Bulletproof Suspension. As far as how they ride, I am not sure. They are more of a West Coast thing, but they deffinatly look good.

I know a lot of people here in florida running lifts, and very few are running it. So you would be different. But I would say the best, least cost effective way, is Pahrump's advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.