Banging Rattling Noise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Banging Rattling Noise

Hey everyone. Need some help figuring out what might be wrong with my Excursion. I've got an 04' 4x4 Excursion. When driving down the road going over potholes, speedbumps, or even minor road imperfections I get a banging or rattling like noise from under the floor around where my left foot is on the driver side. Its been doing this ever since I"ve owned it. I just had to put Ball Joints on that side, They were pretty worn out. I also replaced the sway bar end link on that side too. It had a worn dust boot and even though it didn't seem to have play in it I thought I might as well try to see if that is whats causing the noise. Well that didn't fix it either.

I was thinking maybe a bad sping shankle but there isn't any play in those if I try to jack the end of the spring at the the shackle. I've checked all the steering parts and everything seems to be good, no play or wiggle.

Could a shock cause this kind of noise? I'm at a loss. Hopefully someone has an idea for me to try.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think it could be a worn shock. Mine is making a similar noise. Are you running 'cheaper' shocks? I have Pro Comps, that's why I think its my shocks. They have been on the truck for almost 5yrs.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

They're orignial. I've got a set of Bilstein's coming for the back for other issues. Might go ahead and get a pair for the front too. Everyone says the bilsteins are the best for your money. Even though they're a little more expensive than procomp, they're built better and last the longest.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:00 AM

had mine at the shop for similar issues. mechs there said i needed new rear shocks, that they were seaping pretty bad and were shot. had some new motorcrafts put on and my bumpy rattling noise from the front went away. plus i had everything greased up in the front. dont ask me how that worked out but it did.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

weird! Rear shocks causing front rattling noise.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:21 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i had to fix the body mounts under my feet. The rubber end which has the female threads gets week. It then lets the body mount crack and creek. I temporarily solid mounted mine. I used 12 inchesof 5/8 threaded rod. I had some square steel tube that i cut 1 1/4 inches and removed the bottom partof the mount. Then tightened it up. Noise is gone on mine. I am trying to find a poly bushing that i can use.I have not been able to locate a poly kit for these trucks.
I can send pics if you give me an email address. My 01 excursion was doing this big time. This is where i got the idea for this. I did it on my truck too. I left it this way(threaded rod) for 12k before selling it. Noise was fixed.
ps:for now pull the kick panel off its easy. The lift the carpet up. Theres a rubbur plug covering the bolt in the floor. Take the bolt out and also pull away the bottom of the mount. Try driving it that way. See if it gets better or weorse. You will at least know if this is it.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the body mount might be causing this. I can't find anything in the suspension thats worn or broken. I've driven trucks with messed up suspension and they've never made this kinda of noise. The noise comes from right in that spot. I'll take a look at that in the next few days and see what I come up with. It's pretty annoying and somewhat of a bothersome when I can't know for sure whats causing this. Esspecially since right next to that body mount is where the rear of the driverside front spring shakle is. It almost sounds like sheetmetal popping under load. It does it more so when impacting the suspension on bumps and rough spots if you work the suspension like rock the truck from side to side, it won't do it. Maybe the body mount is the couplrate.
Thanks!
Old 05-23-2010, 06:06 PM

I have the same problem I think on my 99 F250. Ive had it forever and cant figure out what it is. The cab mounts seemed ok but maybe not. Do you feel like a vibration in the floor to? Is it like a tapping feeling under your feet? If you move your left foot more forward or to the side or towards the firewall can you not feel it? Just trying to see if we have the same problem? Is it not as noticable when on the highway? I know mines worse when Im on back roads that are more rough.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:10 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
never feel it on the highway, feel it over bumps or stopping or when the body goes forward. Yes its like a vibration. No, it wont look broken. Take the bolt out. It literally will take 2 minutes. The drivers side is 24mm i believe (socket). I have had 3 of these trucks. two of them did it. The thirdone I dont know. I just rigged a solid mount right when i got it.
When removing the bolt make sure you grab the under piece. It may stick in place then fall out when driving it.
trust me try it.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:22 PM

Is it safe to remove the bolt and then drive it? By removing the bolt what exactly does that do. Does the whole mount come out or just the bolt and the bottom piece? Doesnt seem safe to take bolt out and drive but I dont know. Can I just get new cab mount to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.