Rough Country 8" lift + IL lift law - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough Country 8" lift + IL lift law

ok so i bought the rough country 8'' lift and 37x13.50x22's i am about 1.5''-2'' higher than 2 other buddies with the same setup except they are running fabtech lift......any idea on why the rough country is higher have the springs not settled? i finished the lift and took her for a spin only to get pulled over by il state police and issued a warning told that the truck needed to be lowered i believe il law states no more than 28'' inches from ground to bumper in front and 30'' in rear....i am about 1.5'' to high in the front and 3'' to high in the rear!!! i dont wanna run drop bumpers.....any ideas???? thanks

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Chapter Director

not sure about IL laws but in VA if you have truck plates then you can go a little higher. and also as far as drop bumpers than if they had to measure the truck then they would measure from frame rail.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

MOVE.....i know that's not what you wanted to hear. Being military i have been all over the country and the only place i got a ticket for bumper height was the strip on Panama City Beach, 1 week after i got 8 in and 38's put on. I was stationed there for 6 yrs and had no other issues....it was spring break so they were lookin. Got pulled over because i had not adjusted my headlights....my fault. Have gone from Oregon to Florida and everywhere in between and have not been messed with. All i can say is try some kind of drop bumper design. Now that the State Police know about you, he may be watching out for you from now on. It sucks.....but ya gotta pay to play.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:55 AM

you don't live far from me and i run a 10" and 40's. I woudln't worry about it to much. There is 1 state trooper that i know of that likes to give big trucks a hard time which is probably who you ran across. I have been pulled over and the trooper that pulle dme over said he though i had a nice looking truck and to just watch out cause some troopers like to bust peoples balls.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Illinois Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Laws
Old 05-20-2010, 01:01 PM

yea thanks guys....i just dont know why my 8'' lift is so much higher than my other two buddies??? mine measures out to be almost 10''.... the state trooper was a girl and she definatly said she would be back in my hometown and would be watchin out for me....just not sure what to do my other buddies with 8 and 37s are legal hopeing my springs settle a bit and shes not back around for awhile. i want to be able to enjoy the truck
Old 05-21-2010, 04:42 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optx002 View Post
Same lift laws that are in Utah. I'm above the legal height and haven't been messed with yet. Did the cop pull out the old measuring tape and measure or did he use his lift height calibrated eyes and say your truck was to high?

Last edited by HOTWHEELS34; 05-21-2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:58 AM

no she def. pulled out the ol' tape measure and did me in....im thinking about building some square tube bars that will hang down behind my bumper maybe make them think im legal....i saw that big pig4x4 did that and it didnt look 2 bad.....not sure yet.....if they would count the round piece of metal that goes from frame rail to frame rail in the front as a bumper i could be legal by dropping the back
Old 05-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

throw some added weight in the bed and flex it out over night to help break in the springs. do a different side each night. hopefully that will do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.