2005 F350 4x4 dually; minimum lift to fit 37" tires? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 F350 4x4 dually; minimum lift to fit 37" tires?

2005 F350 4x4 dually crewcab. I have a set of 37" tires on stock 17" rims from a friend. What is the minimum lift I can get away with to fit these? I can tolerate a bit of rub on extreme turn (like full turn in a parking lot). I'm not a big fan of lifting, but I also have a large toy hauler trailer with axles flipped (underslung springs) and it would be nice to level off a bit. Right now my ballmount is flipped waaaay up and it still sags in the middle when my trailer is connected (with EQ bars).

Oh yeah, and what kind of lift is best? I've been told to stay away from the lifts that consist of taller blocks between the axle & springs. So what else is there, extra leafs?

THANKS ALL!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My boyfriend lifted his '03 dually last summer with a 6" kit and runs 38.5 x 11 boggers. We had to get 2" spacers for in between the rear tires as they rubbed each other. He has almost no rub in the front, only full cuts when parking etc. He got the "suspension special" package from ntwonline. It was $900 and replaced front and rear springs and replaced the blocks in the back. I believe the rear springs were 4" lift springs and the block was 2" more than the stock block. He has a lot of power adders and romps on it with no problems. He has ladder bars (traction bars) to help with that as well. Hope that helps...not too many people have lifted duallys so the info is hard to come by.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:08 AM

hey, thanks for taking the time to answer my old post. i figured 6" would do it for sure and was hoping to get away with less. I was looking at a 4 point lift that included Bilstein shocks for either 1350 or 1700. Then the 37" tires are going to cost me $1,000. So instead of spending that kind of $$, i think I'm going to add air bags and see if that levels my tow angles a bit better. and WAAY cheaper!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post
hey, thanks for taking the time to answer my old post. i figured 6" would do it for sure and was hoping to get away with less. I was looking at a 4 point lift that included Bilstein shocks for either 1350 or 1700. Then the 37" tires are going to cost me $1,000. So instead of spending that kind of $$, i think I'm going to add air bags and see if that levels my tow angles a bit better. and WAAY cheaper!
Not a problem! If your only need for the lift is for towing purposes (which I sort of read-over the first time) then I'd imagine air bags will do the trick. I don't have any first hand knowledge, so I'll stop at that. Good luck!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 AM

it started off as: HEY, I can get a set of 6 37" tires for $1000 and sell my stock 17s for $500, so for $500 i have 37" tires! THEN, I realized I'd have to do the lift, and after all the ca-chings on the cash register, I started to back off. I also hear lots of people discuss the difference in ride, with opinions ranging from... it rides like crap!, to: it's not too bad...depending on tire brand...

How's the ride in BFs dually with the big tires, compared to stock?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh, I totally understand. I'm in the process of pricing things out to lift my Excursion...My boyfriend's truck rides a lot better than it used to...compared to stock I'd say it's about the same, but before the 6" lift and 38.5's he had leveling springs in the front and custom spring packs for the rear specifically for heavy towing. It rode like a dump truck when not towing the trailer, so in comparison it rides great now with the 6" lift! He hasn't towed anything yet, so the jury's still out on that one.

I'm just curious, what 37's were you looking at for that price?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:46 AM

they were used/private sale. I can't remember brand...seem to recall i t was decent, like Bridgestone/Toyo?yokohama (??)
Old 06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh ok. I was going to say what new tires are going for that price?! Thanks, and good luck with the air bags!!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

im installing a 7" icon in a couple of weeks with some 37 bfg km2s. ill let you know how much clearance i have
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.