Power Steering Question - Crazy! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Question - Crazy!

Good Morning!

I had a question for anyone with a Ford 6.0L reguarding a problem I am having with my steering system. When the truck is cold in the morning, pretty much just on my way to work in the morning (but after it has warmed up a bit); and only occasionally during the day, my truck seemes to have a "Bump" in the exact center of the steering cycle. I cannot drive the truck no matter what the speed without it pointed 5 to 10 degrees to either the right or the left. No matter what I do to try to center it just seems like I have a big "Bump" that keeps me from being able to drive the truck straight. I have gotten under the truck and inspected what I could. Nothing appears visibly broken. The steering system when the truck is sitting still will move from lock to lock with no groaning, grinding, squeeking, or any other apparent problem. This only happens like I said, when the truck is cold, and when its moving. I very recently had the power steering flushed, and at this time I dont appear to be loosing fluid from the reserve tank. I would apprecieate any advice/ideas you could give. Folks on the road probably think I'm drunk, not to mention it scares the **** out of me! Let me know if you need more information...Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Can you describe the "bump" in more detail? Does it only have when returning to center? What about the bump scares you?
Old 05-04-2010, 08:46 AM

Lets say you turned right during the normal course of driving, and wanted to return to center (by turning the wheel to the left) there is a spot just short of center where as you turn the wheel you would almost think you lost power steering, and then as you try to continue to turn through it (continuing past center), all of the sudden the wheels will suddenly correct to be turning the truck 5-10 Degrees to the LEFT. If you Made a Left turn, and did the same thing returning to center, continuing past center, all of the sudden the wheels would correct and be turning the truck 5-10 degrees to the RIGHT. This bump or loss of power steering in the center means that I have to go down the road constantly correcting from left to right. The truck is my daily driver so I want to figure this out fast, as I dont feel continuing to drive it is safe for me or others around me. The last time I went to my dealership they wanted to charge me almost $600.00 to replace my EGR valve....Sick. I want to go into a shop having an idea of what the problem probably is. Thanks a lot!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:48 AM

I thought it might be my geer box, but the truck turns lock to lock perfect when at a stand-still. Just thought I would throw that in.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM

Just drove the truck home from work....No power steering problems...Only when cold out side.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like the gear box. I would give Kelvin a call at PSC Motorsports. The pump and hydroboost is all pressure, so it doesn't matter where in the turn you are, or placement of the steering wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.