Lost power steering.........but only left - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 09:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lost power steering.........but only left

For quite a while I have had steering issues that never happen when it was at the dealership. Sometimes I would lose power steering after making a right turn then trying to straighten the wheel to make a left turn. It would just lock up. I would have to jerk the wheel to the right to get it to unlock. A couple days ago I was parked behind another truck, I backed up turning right, went to turn left to pull around the other truck, I heard a "pop" then I had no power steering. I got out and checked for leaks, all was ok. I still have good brakes, so I dont think it's a pump issue. Points towards the steering box but it is strange that it only happens one way? Any thoughts? It goes into ford tonight for warranty but I figured I would pick some brains on here.

Shane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 10:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am having about the same problem with my 2003 F350. I replaced the steering box and that wasn't the problem. Just figured out it is the front wheel U-Joints binding (not the one on the drive shaft). Sounds funny but I finally locked in the hubs and put the truck in 4 wheel drive and OH MY GOD can you ever feel it...feels like driving over speed bumps when trying to make a turn.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:03 AM

I can hardly pull the steering wheel to make a left turn. One finger to the right.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:43 AM

New steering box installed. All systems go now.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Premium Member

glad to hear it worked out for you! I'm battling some steering issues and it's taken a while, lots of parts and lots of labor to fix it. Everyone is an expert...at taking my money LOL.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lee View Post
glad to hear it worked out for you! I'm battling some steering issues and it's taken a while, lots of parts and lots of labor to fix it. Everyone is an expert...at taking my money LOL.
What issues are you having? There's really not that much to the steering.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBandit View Post
What issues are you having? There's really not that much to the steering.

Steering tough to turn

I had the pump and steering gear changed, it was a little better for a short period of time but now it's back to normal except it's leaking power steering fluid when I park the truck. So I basically dropped what, 6-700 bucks at least on a steering gear and pump, had them installed (paid labor even though I know how to do it, just needed it done quick and right the first time). Now I still have bad power steering, ps fluid all over my driveway and $1,000 less in my pocket. A guy on here said he changed his hydrobooster and that rectified the problem, not sure how, but thinking that's on my list of things to do. It's at a shop right now and the guy says my steering gear (Ford OEM part) with 5K miles on it is bad but can't detect the leak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.