05-07 BDS Dual Steering Stabilizer help... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 02:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WydOpen
05-07 BDS Dual Steering Stabilizer help...

I purchased the BDS dual steering stabilizer kit from Truck Toyz and went to install it last night. I had several issues and wanted to see what others have experienced while installing this kit.

1. When installing the center bracket, I noticed no clearance between the bracket and the tie rod beneath it. I didn't cycle my steering, but it was definitely going to rub. How much clearance do others have?

2. My kit was incomplete. It only came with two shock stud mounts. The directions only calls for two and only two are pictured in the directions, but so far as I can tell I need four...two studs per shock to mount on the center bracket and then on the tie rod end brackets. See image below, the two silver studs to the far right. Did anyone have to contact BDS or the company they ordered their kit to get two more?

3. When I ordered the kit from Truck Toyz, I requested Bilstein shock P/N BE5-A463-H6 as those are the shocks listed for this application for my truck on their website. However, I got a call before the kit shipped and the salesman said he was going to ship me P/N BE5-6253-H5. Now I didn't fully install the kit, but at first glance holding the shock up to where it would mount the shock was not long enough. What shock is everyone else using?

4. The mounting bracket for the tie rod ends has a slight bend to it. Did others mount the bracket with the bend going up or down?

Thanks for the help in advance, I just wanted to check with others before going to Truck Toyz for the missing parts and shock issue. They have been great to deal with so far and I am not complaining at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WydOpen
Finally got all the parts to complete the installation of this kit...

1. The bracket that mounts to the diff had some play in it. I made sure it was as high as I could get it before securing the bolts to the front differential. This made enough difference so the bracket wouldn't rub against the tie rod.

2. If you purchase BDS specific steering stabilizer shocks, they come with the other two mounting bolts. I opted for a set of Bilstein 5100 series shocks through Truck Toyz. A quick email and call to BDS Tech Support and two additional mounting shock studs were shipped to me. EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE from BDS, by the way.

3. They were the correct shocks. Following the directions carefully I mounted everything up and cycled the steering before installing the shocks and took measurements and it all worked great.

4. The bend goes down (spelled out right in the directions and overlooked it).

I hope this helps others. The dual steering stabilizer kit with nitrogen shocks makes a WORLD of difference in how the truck feels driving down the road. Pic of finished product...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to WydOpen For This Useful Post:
Rap_Rider (05-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.