08 BDS 6" lift? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 07:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 BDS 6" lift?

I'm getting ready to buy a 08 F-250, I called the local shop here (bucks 4X4) they said they carry a BDS 6" lift and it's 2K installed. Does that sound good? I didn't really get details on the lift as I don't have the truck yet.

Is BDS a good lift? I want to keep factory ride quality.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010drive View Post
I'm getting ready to buy a 08 F-250, I called the local shop here (bucks 4X4) they said they carry a BDS 6" lift and it's 2K installed. Does that sound good? I didn't really get details on the lift as I don't have the truck yet.

Is BDS a good lift? I want to keep factory ride quality.

Thanks
All the research I've done on lifts has led me to believe that BDS is a good
choice for a lift. The 6" lift goes for close to 1400 bucks ... so your
shop wants another 600 to install ... they're not giving you a killer deal and
they're not raking you over the coals either ... sounds like they're wanting
about 90 bucks an hour for the install. I think they're a little high on the
price and could do better for you ... but it will be worth it if they do the job
right. Do you get the impression this shop will take good care of your
job?
Old 03-26-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.10853 View Post
All the research I've done on lifts has led me to believe that BDS is a good
choice for a lift. The 6" lift goes for close to 1400 bucks ... so your
shop wants another 600 to install ... they're not giving you a killer deal and
they're not raking you over the coals either ... sounds like they're wanting
about 90 bucks an hour for the install. I think they're a little high on the
price and could do better for you ... but it will be worth it if they do the job
right. Do you get the impression this shop will take good care of your
job?
It seems like everyone around here uses them, so they must be good. That's basically all they do is lifts. So the $1,400 lift is the basic one right? Do you think it would be wise to spend the extra money for the 4-link system? Also how hard is a lift to install? I was thinking about just doing it with a buddy of mine if it is going to save me $600.
Old 03-26-2010, 02:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
It seems like everyone around here uses them, so they must be good. That's basically all they do is lifts. So the $1,400 lift is the basic one right? Do you think it would be wise to spend the extra money for the 4-link system? Also how hard is a lift to install? I was thinking about just doing it with a buddy of mine if it is going to save me $600.
BDS raised their prices a few months back ... the basic 6" ( Radius Arm Drop Bracket Kit ) is like $1383.00 on their website. The 4 link kit is like $2182.00 .
Which one to choose? I know of lots of people who are very happy with a radius arm drop kit. That's what I'll be getting. Of course, the 4 link systems give your suspension better articulation and therefore better performance on and off road. It just depends on overall preference and truck use. I plan to go with a radius arm drop bracket kit, and then someday a few years from now maybe upgrade the radius arms to 4 links.

Do it yourself? Lots of people do it themselves. Have a look on the BDS site, they have all the install instructions available. Read them good and see if it's something you think you can tackle ...

Just curious ... what state are you in? I'm in Nor Cal and there is hardly any BDS kits being installed in my area. It's mostly Fabtech out here ...
Old 03-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
BDS raised their prices a few months back ... the basic 6" ( Radius Arm Drop Bracket Kit ) is like $1383.00 on their website. The 4 link kit is like $2182.00 .
Which one to choose? I know of lots of people who are very happy with a radius arm drop kit. That's what I'll be getting. Of course, the 4 link systems give your suspension better articulation and therefore better performance on and off road. It just depends on overall preference and truck use. I plan to go with a radius arm drop bracket kit, and then someday a few years from now maybe upgrade the radius arms to 4 links.

Do it yourself? Lots of people do it themselves. Have a look on the BDS site, they have all the install instructions available. Read them good and see if it's something you think you can tackle ...

Just curious ... what state are you in? I'm in Nor Cal and there is hardly any BDS kits being installed in my area. It's mostly Fabtech out here ...
Thanks for the info... I'm in Idaho. The shop here said they they use BDS on all there trucks so there must be a lot of them around here. The truck will be used for the street most of the time and some off-road but nothing crazy. I noticed on there site that there is a basic with blocks or a basic with leaf springs. The one with leaf springs is as much as the 4 link with blocks. Do you know the ride quality of each one?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the info... I'm in Idaho. The shop here said they they use BDS on all there trucks so there must be a lot of them around here. The truck will be used for the street most of the time and some off-road but nothing crazy. I noticed on there site that there is a basic with blocks or a basic with leaf springs. The one with leaf springs is as much as the 4 link with blocks. Do you know the ride quality of each one?
Nope. But, I know I won't use their rear springs because I want to keep my factory load capabilities. With their block you could get axle wrap ... but if you're not tuned you probably won't. With their leaf springs I'd say your truck will sag worse when hauling. I asked them about it once, and they didn't convince me at the time that I wanted to use their springs to haul any weight.
You could use their springs though, have a great ride, and then just add air bags. Lots of options and opinions on this stuff ...
Old 03-26-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Nope. But, I know I won't use their rear springs because I want to keep my factory load capabilities. With their block you could get axle wrap ... but if you're not tuned you probably won't. With their leaf springs I'd say your truck will sag worse when hauling. I asked them about it once, and they didn't convince me at the time that I wanted to use their springs to haul any weight.
You could use their springs though, have a great ride, and then just add air bags. Lots of options and opinions on this stuff ...

Ok, I will be running a tune tho. A 275 to be more specific. I won't be hauling that much and when I do it won't come near the max factor specs. So I probably should get the leafs other wise I will have to get traction bars right?
Old 03-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Ok, I will be running a tune tho. A 275 to be more specific. I won't be hauling that much and when I do it won't come near the max factor specs. So I probably should get the leafs other wise I will have to get traction bars right?
You could still get some axle wrap with the BDS springs I think.

The BDS block kit comes with a 5" block for the rear. That will leave the truck a bit low in the rear compared to the front. You need a 7" block in the rear to be level with a 6" lift. Or, a 5" block and 2" add-a-leaf, etc.

The best thing would be some 7" OUO Traction Blocks. You get the factory load specs, the 7" of lift, and the traction bars all in one setup. Ask Pahrump about this, his setup is smokin' and he's tested all of it from 6" up to 10" or more ...
Old 03-26-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
You could still get some axle wrap with the BDS springs I think.

The BDS block kit comes with a 5" block for the rear. That will leave the truck a bit low in the rear compared to the front. You need a 7" block in the rear to be level with a 6" lift. Or, a 5" block and 2" add-a-leaf, etc.

The best thing would be some 7" OUO Traction Blocks. You get the factory load specs, the 7" of lift, and the traction bars all in one setup. Ask Pahrump about this, his setup is smokin' and he's tested all of it from 6" up to 10" or more ...

I went on there website. It looks like a nice setup but I did not see any prices? Do you know how much they cost? The BDS kit comes with a 3" block kit for the rear. Would it be best to get 4" OUO traction blocks since the BDS kit raises the front 6", that would make it close to level right?

EDIT: On the BDS site it says it uses a 3" block kit then in the description it says its a 5" block kit. Which one is it?

Last edited by 2010drive; 03-26-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:23 PM

Okay, I think I have figured it out

When it says 3" block kit does that mean it raises the rear another 3" and it is done by using 5" blocks?

Also I saw this.

■Installation of this kit will result in a "pre-runner" look with the rear of the vehicle 2" lower than the front.

So, I guess you would be correct, that I should get the 7" OUO block kit to make it level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.