Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Help quick! driving 3k miles this weekend.....

786 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  PGreenSVT 
#1 ·
I posted a different thread saying i had a grinding sound, and i found it, i just want to know if it is okay......

Im sorry about my vocabulary, im still learning, but this is whats going on. There are the two arms coming off the axle: the one that attaches to the pitman arm, and the other that bolts to the frame. I have a lift on my truck, so i have a different pitman arm anda different bracket that bolts to the frame for these two bars.

The bar that attaches to the frame seems to have a little play in it when i turn (the play is left to right), and it makes a grinding sound whenever i turn off center. i crawled under and took at look at it, and it just appears that the noise is coming from where the arm attaches to the bracket at the frame.

could i just spray some wd-40 on that bushing-thing and loosen it up, or is this a part i should replace? all my steering components are tight.

Im leaving for mammoth, california saturday morning, which will be over 1k miles one way, just want to make sure im going to be stranded on the road somewhere.

#3 ·
I think its the trac bar. Its the one that DOESNT attach to the pitman arm. It goes from axle to frame (well, a bracket that attaches to the frame)

#4 ·
Yes, that is the trac bar. Just tighten it and you'll be fine.

#5 ·
Well, that didnt take much.

I got probably 1/16 of a turn on the bolt with a wrench and a cheater bar, and the sound is gone. :doh:

#10 ·
Per the Ford Service manual the torque spec is 369 ft lbs each. You really have to crank those suckers down. It's especially important if it is a coil spring front end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.