Steering Stabilizer help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering Stabilizer help

OK, so I need some new ones...want to get good ones...spoke with some informed people yesterday and am told that even ones suck as FOX...if you get straight emulsion style then they dont work right...cause when laid on their side the oil is all ove the place....when standing up course the nitrogen is on top holding the oil down...but sideways not so.

The only way is with a longer shock that has a divider in it or with a rezzie shock...now I am not spending $500 on 2 rezzie stabs.

Maybe I explained that explanation wrong...but thats how I understood it.

Anyone want to chime in here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Nothing wrong with Bilsteins, Icons or Fox's...
Old 03-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Smoke Eater

Send a message via Yahoo to fdchief
i have the fabtech dual kit and it works great
Old 03-02-2010, 05:53 PM

I guess I should have asked.....does anyone know anything about laying the emulsion shocks on their side and it not making them work right?

Yes they work...yes yes...but right is the key word.

I know on FOXs site...is clearly states that *Emulsion shocks must be run "Body Side Up"

I see people all over running these laying down.

The shock guru I spoke with said to get the RIGHT working on the shock I would need it to be a rezzie shock.

Remember..works and works RIGHT is different.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:20 PM

The stabilizers don't take nearly as hard as an impact as a verticle shock does, as long as it pressurized right it will work great. With that being said, the only right way to run pressurized stabilizers is to run them dual and opposing. Bilstein, Icon and Fox are all great choices. As for a resi stabilizer, I don't see the purpose. The reason for a resi is more fluid capacity due to over heating of the shock, it has to be moving very rapidly for a good amount of time to get the actual use out of a resi shock. It won't foam and over heat as fast as a regular emusion shock causing shock fade. I don't see the need for this in a stabilizer on a street driven truck. Hell, resi shocks on our trucks serve no purpose but for great looks and the fine tuning out of the higher name brands. Speaking of daily drivers that is, if they're on a toy of if you're in the dunes every day that's a different story.

Last edited by Lbs; 03-02-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbs View Post
The stabilizers don't take nearly as hard as an impact as a verticle shock does, as long as it pressurized right it will work great. With that being said, the only right way to run pressurized stabilizers is to run them dual and opposing. Bilstein, Icon and Fox are all great choices. As for a resi stabilizer, I don't see the purpose. The reason for a resi is more fluid capacity due to over heating of the shock, it has to be moving very rapidly for a good amount of time to get the actual use out of a resi shock. It won't foam and over heat as fast as a regular emusion shock causing shock fade. I don't see the need for this in a stabilizer on a street driven truck. Hell, resi shocks on our trucks serve no purpose but for great looks and the fine tuning out of the higher name brands. Speaking of daily drivers that is, if they're on a toy of if you're in the dunes every day that's a different story.
I agreed with you..but call DownSouth and talk to them about it...seriously...I know you have the number.

The reason for the rezzie in this has nothing to do with the fading of the stabilizer...has to do with keeping the oil and nitrogen separate.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 AM

I call up Sonny and talk to him because I'm looking for some new stabilizers also right at this moment. I believe you for sure so I'd like to hear more about this, I'm always up to learning new stuff haha. Have you decided which ones you're going for?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Did you call and talk to them about em?

Any word on another set of those tires for me?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:51 PM

Its always kept separate on a Bilstein..
Old 03-04-2010, 01:37 PM

I bought FOX cause I am changing all my shocks to FOX......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.