Front End Vibration - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front End Vibration

I had a horrible vibration in the front end at around 40-50 mph that I'm assuming is what people call the "Death Wobble." It would also dive to the driver's side when hitting the brakes with a decent amount of pressure. I changed out the front shocks, and the vibration calmed down, but it is still horrible when you hit the brakes.

The driver's side rotor has some grooves in it, the fins are rusted, and looks like some fins might be broken. Same condition of the passenger side rotor, except it doesn't have any grooves in it. Could it be the brakes causing all this?

I'm thinking about changing the rotors and pads out to fix the problem. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 09:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

need more info man.. something like what truck you have would help out a lot but something you can do is jack up the side that is having the issue and try to shake the tire to check ball joints and tie rod ends.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry about that, I thought I had my signature set up already I've got a 2006 F-250 FX4, Leveling Kit with 35.5" tires. I will jack the truck up and check the ball joints. If you have any other suggestions, please throw them at me.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:22 AM

mine does the same thing the dealer told me that it was the ball joints and the hub assembly. they wanted 1300 for the repair. i told them id do it myself but thanks anyway. does yours "smooth" out after you get @ like 60+
Old 02-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

mine dose it i only have 5k on the truck its a 2010, i hope when i lift it my steering stabilizer will fix it it feels like front wheel hop on mine, it will only do it at 50-55mph anything below or abrove its fine
Old 02-22-2010, 06:11 PM

you might wanna take it and get it looked at before you do the lift and tires if it is a problem and you are still stock the dealer should warranty it being it only has 5k miles
Old 02-23-2010, 03:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_PSTROKE View Post
mine does the same thing the dealer told me that it was the ball joints and the hub assembly. they wanted 1300 for the repair. i told them id do it myself but thanks anyway. does yours "smooth" out after you get @ like 60+
Mine does smooth out above 55 & below 45 mph. I'm going to try a new steering damper, and see if that helps. I checked the ball joints and the tie rod ends. There is just a little play on the tie rod, but the ball joint seems to be tight as can be. I got the braking to calm down with a new rotor, but the death wobble is still here. Hopefully I can get rid of it soon.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

this is true but then i would have to put my dpf back on
Old 02-24-2010, 07:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I found this article, and although it does not specifically talk about the Superduty, it does make perfect sense. As an engineer, I deal with this all time, just never with a truck. I guess my tires are just too big with the wheel offset that I have. I will have to make some adjustments somewhere. I'll let you know how it works out. Here is the web site if you feel like reading.

Why Steering Stabilizers?
Old 04-18-2010, 01:11 PM

just an update i got my front end checked out by a very reputable front end guy back home. he couldnt find ANYTHING wrong with the front end on my truck ball joints, tie rod ends, hub assembly everything was fine. but i still have the bad 40-50 mph "SHIMMY" on the front left. so i take it back to the wheel and tire shop i got my tires from to have them check it out. turns out the wheel weights were messed up and that wheel was out of balance. they rebalanced it and it runs smooth as silk again.. It really burns me up thinking about how that ford dealer tried to bury it in my A$$. i know everyone is out to make money these days but damn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.