Bad wobble, shimmy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad wobble, shimmy

I have an 06 F250 ,i have a 6" lift and have had it installed for 3 years now and never had this problem. But lateley when Im doing about between 15 to 25 mph and hit a little bump or even just that the road is a little uneven i get this terrible shimmy like the front driver side tire wants to come off, and theres no driving through it i have to almost completely stop . it never happens when im at high speed only in that range. has anyone expirienced this or have any idea whats going on i would really appreciate any help. My wife is afraid to get in it .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE... what the hell is it?
Old 02-14-2010, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

shimmy

I suspect you have an issue with your steering. Do you have a tire shop that you do business with or a repair shop that does alignments? If so, it may behove you to have them inspect the steering and even perhaps the tire/wheel as well. I know years ago, tires were considered to have "bruised" carcasses that promoted a weak spot in the chords causing issues with the steering. Usually these were caused by trucks in the construction field and of course the recreational 4 X 4's (most common) as well as 2 X 4 trucks used off road. Those good old rocks!

You certainly have an issue that could be quite dangerous and it should be addressed. Brakes are always the first line of defense and then it's the steering. Whoa is more important that Go and being able to direct the vehicle down the path one so desires to follow is the next in line of importance. A thourgh inspection by someone who does this type of work on a daily basis is worth its' weight in gold. Even really good mechanics always have another in the shop inspect their work as it's always harder to see the trees for the forrest. You look at something so long you don't see it any longer.

I'm one of the old guys now, and I've seen a variety of issues over the years and that experience causes me to provide the above suggestion. I hope this may help.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Bring On The Snow

Send a message via AIM to SuperDutyPSD6L
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Ford Death Wobble. Alot of 05+ trucks do it and Ford says they really done know why and to not mess with the suspension, tire size or anything like that. So they say leave it 100 percent stock and it will be fine lol lol lol. Dual steering stabilizers are known to help. Thats all I can say I have the same issue and will be gettin stabilizers soon to try and calm it down
Old 02-14-2010, 10:33 PM
KING of BLING!

Stabilizers help. Also the correct torque on the trac bar. Alignment can also play a big role. Check this out.
What WOBBLE?
Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

We have recieved several phone calls concerning this issue. I have not heard any cases in which a chassis with either a fixed load, or while carrying or pulling a load has had an event. this leads me to believe that a reduction in caster angle might well solve this problem, although worn out and loose parts, tire pressure, broken belt in tires could contribute to this condition.

It would be easy to blame these events on aftermarket suspension modifications but it has happened on stock trucks, both two and four wheel drive, gas and diesel.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

suspension wobble

A great and responsible post RobSr. I hope others who have the same issue read this as it, for me, validates what I have experience over the years. I've had my front suspension issues on vehicles in the past and the small investment of a thourgh inspection was well worth the effort and small cost overall.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

I just had the same thing the other day...and I have dual steering stabilizers...after hitting a bump on the interstate, I thought a wheel was falling off. It was bad enough that I stopped and checked lug nuts and everything.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think we're on to something! we have an 07 F350,CCLB 6.0 in the shop today. customer states wife was driving about 45 mph, rounded a slight turn, hit a bump and it started to shake violently. needless to say it scared the **** out of her. took it to ford dealer, they checked tire pressure and inspected the front end suspension components, blamed it on the lift kit, lol.

we compared the angles of the drag link and steering stabilizer to stock. it has a dropped pitman so it is in spec but did notice the extreme angle of the stabilizer with the now lifted suspension. I'm not convinced this is the issue as stock trucks have been known to have these events as well, but it could contribute.

After test driving for an hour trying to duplicate the event, finally got it to happen at about 50 mph after hitting a pretty good bump in the road ( dont try this at home, lol) I would have to say this is a very serious problem!!!

Our opinion at this point is that although we're not sure of the actual cause-tires,shocks, worn parts, what appears to be taking place is an occilation in the front coil springs. the axle is bouncing up and down alt. from side to side, scarry! I dont think dual steering stabilizers would cure this, it does not seem to be a horizontal shake, but a lateral one.

I think the best thing for a truck owner who has experienced this issue to do would be file a complaint with the NTSB. I heard they were already aware of the problem, and the TSB concering seems to want to blame it on aftermarket equipment, or tire pressure or loose/worn components. sure these are certainly a factor, but I suspect a design issue as well. just my two cents.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wow sorry so many of you have this issue but im glad its not unique to my truck. I do have dual steering stabilizers and traction bars they dont help this problem as for speed i have never had this problem over 30 MPH, only on the lower speeds ( thank God ) because it is really bad i think at 50 i would lose control or the tire would come off.As for tire issues it seems that everyone that ive heard that has this it`s always on the front driver side, so that would have to be a big coincedence. I dont know im sure if i take it to Ford i will get that its a fabtech lift problem so i guess i will take back to off road parts and see what they say, I mean its so bad i feel like selling it because i would hate myself if something happend with my wife or kids in it, as it is at low speeds i can get control but at high speeds it could get ugly. Thank`s for all your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.