Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Installing my own lift this weekend. Pointers?

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Shockley6.0 
#1 ·
I'll be putting a 6.5"/5" pro comp spring lift on muh truck this weekend. It'll be me and my dad doing it.

Any last words/pointers before i dig myself into a hole? :icon_ford:

From the looks of the kit, it should be a basic process, and it doesnt appear that there will be any surprises other than working with the driveline.

all tips welcomed! I cant wait to get this thing on. Too bad topguncustomz decided to take three weeks to ship me my steering stabilizer kit, otherwise that would be going on this weekend too......

Three more mid terms to go, then i'll be heading to my dads shop on the other side of the state on friday evening.

#2 ·
small hand torch is very handy to losen tight bolts. i just did my four inch spring lift from BDS in 10-15-2009. not hard i did it by myself took me eight hours just heavy work if you dont have pit man arm puller get / rent one from parts store and a couple jacks for sure. pitman arm was the hardest part if you wanna call anything hard. that sucker was on there tight! good luck.

#8 ·
X2. Exactly what I was going to say. Safety, safety, safety. You cant enjoy the new lift if you get killed installing it.

At work they teach us a simple method for identifying hazards: look for sources of energy, as energy is what causes harm. This includes gravity, pressure, electricity, mechanical (springs), chemical, etc. If you can identify and control sources of energy you can stay safe.

I also think about Murphy's Law when starting projects and it usually helps to keep me safe :hehe:

#5 ·
Pitman arm puller for sure. You'll need at least two jacks and two jackstands. Get a 36mm socket for the trac bar if you don't have one.

#7 ·
another bump for good measure, im making the 6 hour drive across the state to the old mans shop tomorrow after class.

#9 ·
Not sure what year your truck is, but if it's all leaf sprung it will be cake. I have done a few and the hardest part for me is getting tall enough jack stands in the driveway. I refuse to stack cinder blocks or wood or anything like that....Too dangerous for me. If you don't have a lift....I was able to set it on the jackstands, take the tires off and then lower the axle down almost ot the rotors and it fit with the 6" lift. As far as the mechanics of it. One of the easier jobs I have done. Big breaker bars is a way of life....lol. The pitman arm has been known to be a PAIN in the butt, I broke one puller on the last one I did, but it can be "rented" from most chain auto parts stores or just buy one...they are pretty inexpensive. It usually takes me about a day in the driveway. Good luck!
-Aaron

#10 ·
taking all the stock stuff off is really what takes time. spray everything with pb blaster ahead of time, let it soak for a few days.

putting the new parts in isn't hard at all just don't rush and miss something!

#11 ·
taking all the stock stuff off is really what takes time. spray everything with pb blaster ahead of time, let it soak for a few days.

putting the new parts in isn't hard at all just don't rush and miss something!
I wish i would have had a chance to do that.

Started around noon today, and it went very smooth until around 6, even with two amateurs doing the work.

Come 6, we spent three hours trying to get the gawdam pitman arm off, and finally gave up. Tried a pickle fork with a sledge, and snapped a pitman arm puller. We're just gonna get the grinder out tomorrow morning and cut it off.

#12 ·
Good luck man. They are a b**ch

#13 ·
whelp, we got 'er finished earlier today, i didnt snap any pictures though.

After we cut the pitman arm off, we slapped the front together in about an hour, and the rear only took a couple hours to do.

I'll get her aligned in the morning, and hopefully i'll post up pics tomorrow sometime.

#14 ·

crappy camera phone pic. She looks like she's squattin in the rear a bit because of the camera angle/front turned wheels, but she's level.

#15 ·
did you have to take the front crash bar out to get the front spring bolt out?

was the pitman bolt 30mm or 36mm?

If my drop track bar bracket shows up then i'll be a 6" lift this weekend too

#16 ·
Is the crash bar the metal piece that is below the front bumper/frame? If so, yes i had to take that out to get the front springs off.

My pitman arm bolt was a 32mm.

#17 ·
did you torque everything to spec? also get an allignment done asap

#18 ·
everything was torqued accordingly.

I did get an alignment, but i have a bad lower ball joint, so my camber is still a bit off. The ball joint will be getting replaced this week to take care of that though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.