Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Difference between Moog drag links

5K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  Mldimatteo 
#1 ·
Can anyone clarify what the difference between the 2 moog drag links that show up for my truck? Part# DS300040 & DS300039

DS300040 says 34.16" from stud center to end

DS300039 says 36.8" from stud center to end

On some sites there is a $60 difference between the two.

My truck is a 2014 f350 with a 4" lift. Do I need the longer one to compensate for the lift?

#3 ·
I looked on the moog site
what a joke. the only possible reason I can see a listing for a longer drag link is for the wide track trucks that may use a longer one
and that shouldn't be listed under a F 250 that i used for cross checking

just mesure what you have if your going with moog

or go beefy and look at the PMF drag link ( precision metal fab )

#6 ·
It measures 34 1/16". There's about 3" of gap in the adjuster, between the threads. Wonder if that's why they sell a longer one. There's only about an inch of threads threaded into the adjustment sleeve. I'm considering the PMF one after looking at that.

#7 ·
i went with the PMF and Trevor actually recommended the stock length for mine and it fit perfect

i was going to go with the longer one and that would have been a mistake. I have an 8 inch lift

I seriously doubt MooG would sell longer parts for the lifted crowd ??

#11 · (Edited)
in came with an actual trac bar or trac bar drop bracket ?

the 1 inch of threads in the OEM sleeve is fine IMO ( rule of thumb You need a minimum threaded length engaged equal to the diameter of the stud. If 5/8-18, you want 5/8" or more thread engaged in the sleeve.)
IIRC there are no threads in the sleeve past a certain point anyway
but i agree more thread engagement is better in my mind and a non issue with the PMF bar

#12 ·
It came with a solid replacement trac bar, not adjustable. It's a cheaper kit, but all parts seemed pretty beefy.

I believe I caused the drag link to go bad when I was trying to remove it, so I can't say that lifting is the cause for failure, but the angle on the joint did seem pretty steep where the draglink meets pitman arm. I also have less than 1/4" when parked between the seat bar and drag link. That's why I was curious about a drop pitman arm. I think I've read that it's not necessary until you go over 4.5", but could it hurt to add one to correct the angle a bit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.