Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Just installed New steering box now have leak

5K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  WHAT HAPPENED 
#1 ·
I just installed a new RED HEAD steering box. Box is great.
So now the story... After I finished the installation I did what the instructions told me to do (rotate the wheel 17-20 time with tires off the ground and let sit for 2 hours for air...) When I came back after 2 hours I rotated the wheel again like it says for 7-10 time with the tires off the ground. I half way started the truck 3 times cuz I don't have an extra person to help me and the I checked to see if any power steering fluid got sucked down and some did. There was still 3/4 of the reservoir full so I thought I was good. NOPE when I want to back out the break pedal when to the floor and truck did not stop... So I threw the truck in drive it was at idle nothing broke accept for my neighbors fucing fence that my rear bumper hit... So anyways after I got the truck leveled out in the driveway I proceeded to push on the brakes and tried to bleed the air out of it that way. I took it for an idol around the block the truck brakes just fine. When I go for full steering to the right or to the left the pedal hits the floor. I jumped on YouTube real quick to see how to bleed the brake system so I tried following that it's worked out OK but now I have developed a leak and I do not know where it's coming from. I checked the two hoses that I connected to the steering box that I disconnected and those are not leaking I do have pictures I think it's from the power steering pump at the bottom we're the hose goes into the pump itself. Any help would be great thank you.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
More pics...

Attachments

#3 ·
Brake pedal going to the floor shouldn't be the reason to bleed your brakes. The only reason you'd need to blled your brakes is if you had air in them. Sounds to me like you lost the power booster.

#4 ·
Even with the booster down the brake pedal should not have gone to the floor it should have just lost power assist (after the backup charge canister was depleted)
Is your emergency brake non functional ?
That would be my first go to if my regular brakes failed

#5 ·
yes but the master cylinder works off the booster. no booster no master
check the booster valve

#7 ·
how do I check the booster valve???

Also the steering wheel feels "heavy"...

#8 ·
Break pedal is firm and feels good... Feels better than ever... I had to drive the truck to work for 40 miles... I got called in... when I got to work and I checked under the truck I had power steering fluid everywhere it was all sprayed in the drivers side fender well. I checked the fluid level before I drive home and I only lost an inch from the night before. I don't know how much fluid I had to start with in the morning because I did not check. I also do not have any fluid underneath the truck from overnight and had no fluid underneath the truck when I got into it after work.

#9 ·
If its not coming from the bottom of the shaft then look at the jam nut on top for the worm gear adjustment. Sometimes they need to be snugged up. Should have let it sit overnight to let all the air out. 2 hours is cutting it a little close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Steering box dry all over...
What if the pump was weak and I added a strong box to it... would that have any thing to do with the leaking???

#12 ·
Well nothing is leaking anymore... must have been all that fluid on that support frame... thanks everyone for your help :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.