Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Lifting..What do I have/need?.

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  PullingHome 
#1 ·
Hello I have a 2006 f350 that I've had for several years now. When I bought the truck the guy gave me 3" coil spacers and rear lift blocks and a set of leaf springs. He had these installed prior to his selling. I have a new set of 35's coming and I'm considering putting the lift back on but I'm not sure if I have everything I need. So far I assume I'll have to get new extended shocks. Hoping someone can tell me if I have everything needed to do the lift.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The minimum that I would suggest would be the following:

Shocks
Adjustable track bar
New u-bolts (those should never be re-used)

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. Still trying to figure out what I have. Looks like the front coil spacers are 2-1/2" and my back blocks are total of 5" and that's without the add a leaf. Am I missing something here? I'm assuming that my blocks go as pictured.

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
The orientation of the coil spacer and the blocks looks correct. The factory F350 rear blocks are taller than the F250 blocks. If those blocks that are pictured are 5" I believe they are the oem F350 blocks that came on that truck from the factory. The F250 blocks are around 3" tall.

Are the blocks on the truck now shorter or taller than the ones pictured that are not installed? The combination of the 2-1/2" front coil spacer and the F350 blocks will achieve a very nice stance on your truck so like George above said, you'd only need longer shocks front and rear and new U-bolts for the rear.

If you currently have the shorter F250 blocks in the rear, only installing the front coil spacers will give you a "leveled" look where the front end is slightly higher than the rear. Some people like this look and some people do not. I personally can't stand it. So if you're like me and you don't want that look, you can either keep the shorter blocks and install the add-a-leaf, or remove the shorter blocks and install the taller ones with just the factory leafs.

On my previous '06 I had Bilstein 5100s with the 2-1/2" coil spacers in the front, and Bilstein 5100s with F350 blocks and factory leafs in the rear. I loved it, especially for the cost. On my new '16, I replicated that same setup and hated it. The ride quality is terrible, nothing like it was on my '06 and I don't have a clue as to why. I ended up ordering a full Carli system from George just this week. You might want to do the Fox 2.0 shocks as a small upgrade over the Bilsteins as most people agree they are a better shock. Whatever you do, order from George, he'll take care of you like he did me.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
This is starting to make sense..doing a quick Google search of factory 350 blocks comes up with what looks to be what I have (pictured). As of now there are no blocks under the springs!..just the pedestal that's welded to the axle. The way my truck sits now I measure (from the fender) a half inch higher in the back than in front. Is it possible they removed the blocks to level the truck?

#9 ·
The way my truck sits now I measure (from the fender) a half inch higher in the back than in front. Is it possible they removed the blocks to level the truck?
Yes it's possible especially with all those stacked leafs you have. On kits with full replacement leafs, they do not utilize blocks at all.

Soon as my truck gets home I'll post them.. So the stock stance on this truck would of been around 2 inches lower in the front?. I assume this is why the coil spacers are used to level the truck?
That is correct for an F350, yes.

Holy leaf springs!.. What's going on here?
I really can't tell you what's going on here. Someone with more experience should chime in. It looks to me though that you have quite the hodgepodge of leafs going on back there. I would endeavor to identify what of all that is the factory leafs, get rid of the rest, install those 350 blocks you have, get new shocks, and call the rear end sorted. You already know what to do in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
for lifting usw a jack...much easier than trying to do it by hand :look:

ok but seriously soundsw like you should post up some pics of the rear set up like there was a block of some kind welded to the axle and the stock blocks on top of that at one point :dunno:
not a fan of stacked blocks but it is too common a practice to ignore the possibility.
of course this is all conjecture of a deluded mind without pictures :D

#10 ·
First off. What the hell is going on at your house. Truck parts, tv remote and Kleenex?

Those rear springs are messed up. They should look something like this.
top set of springs. I personally would pull them and find a good used set or get some from Sdtrucksprings or ford.

#11 ·
Those appear to be a spring-shop special. Even the F450/550 don't use an overload pack like that. It seems like the shop built up a set of leafs and removed the block to get a level stance.

From the original post, the low block is the spacer on top of the OEM leaf pack to separate the overload spring, as shown in the post before this one.

If it was my truck, I'd remove that spring pack (and get the dollars in scrap steel) and remove the forward spring hanger and reinstall ≈ 8" further forward and use longer leafs for 2008+ model.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replies..here's a better shot of it. What I'm thinking is the top (4) set of springs was added and the bottom set are the factory springs. Probably going to remove the added pack and go back to the factory block then add the smaller block with the single spring on top. So the order from bottom would be factory block, factory springs, smaller block then the single spring (I believe it is an add-a-leaf).

Attachments

#13 ·
That's the way it should go. But the top leaf is not a add a leaf. I'm not sure where to get one. It's not needed if you can find one.

#16 ·
Well the factory block and this one. Which is smaller..less than an inch. From what I've gathered it's called the auxiliary overload leaf spring spacer. Every picture I've seen if one has it spring on top of the leaf spring pack with a single on top. So I guess that extra single spring is called an auxiliary overload leaf spring.

Attachments

#17 ·
The picture in post #12 shows what appear to be Hellwig Helper Leafs. From everything I can find, they are either a discontinued version, or modified.

The circled leafs are indeed OEM overloads and are spaced with the thinner spacer block.

The below picture shows an OEM configuration. Notice the spacer between the overload and main pack.

#18 ·
Well it appears this mystery had been solved. Searching the internet i couldn't find any spring pack like the one that I have on there now but that Hellwig looks like a winner. I bought the truck in 09'. The guy bought a big camper dropped the coil spacers and went back to factory tire size to pull. He ultimately sold it to buy a dually. I've had these parts lying around since then. So doing some rough calculations it looks like if I go back to my factory spring/block setup I'll gain around 3-1/2 to 4" of height. Then the coil spacers should level out the front. So I guess he actually lowered the rear end of the truck by taking out the blocks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.