Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bilstein 5160 or 7100 Questions

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  drewactual 
#1 ·
I need shocks for my 2002 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed Dually 4x4. I will be running 285/75R16 with a 2.5" leveling kit in front and rear 3" blocks (it has stock 2" blocks now). It has ranch hand front and rear bumpers. The leveling kit I ordered is a long spring pack so shock length will be stock in front. Shock length will be about an 1" longer in rear.

I read a few posts that say they need to be valved to my truck and a few that say it does not matter, which is correct? The ones that said they need to be valved also suggested to account for heavy accessories i.e. the ranchhand bumpers. Does anyone run these type of shocks on their super duty? Where did you get them?

#2 ·
though i can offer no advice on your question, I'll share this: I'll never waste money on bilsteins again. I just (like, last night) had one blow up and throw oil everywhere. the stanchion sheared right off the body. in dramatic fashion, I should add.

may want to consider coining up and snatching some FoxAir or Icon, or something from that family of shock... Bilsteins aren't any dang better than monroe's...

oh, and basically they told me to pound sand this morning...

#9 ·
LOL did you not read the posts above ^^^^. I've seen a lot of people over the years bash on Bilstein.

#10 ·
Bilstein (or at least the retailer) ended up honoring the shock... they gave me a code to use to pay for new ones- which I used instead to get my hands on the 5160's properly valved for the super duty. i have $50 each in them (in addition to the original cost of the 5100's)... so... they were about $125 or so each- still a touch cheaper than what they're being retailed for.

i didn't put the boots on them. runnin' em' naked...

I can't tell you I'm impressed, because they do what a shock is 'sposed to do is all... what i did find interesting is they are stiffer than the 5100's by a good margin, but they have yet to eat more than 3 or so inches of travel, as witnessed by the little grommet on the stancion.

the reason that is interesting, is as soft as they feel I would have thought they'd eaten more than they have. translation: the 5160's are a lot more progressive than the 5100's, and the rebound is more controlled.

time will tell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.