Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Need to fix wandering

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  JustinOOO9 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently just replaced my tires with Nitto A/T 285/75/16's and the truck is wandering all over the road quit a bit. The Truck does have a 3 inch level on the front which came with the truck when I got it.

I do still need to get the truck to the alignment shop but wanted to check and see if there is anything I need to add to the front suspension before doing so. Everything other then the level is stock parts.

Thanks, Bill

#2 ·
Make sure your at around 4* of caster it makes a difference.
You don't have any suspension drop down brackets so it must be a caster issue. Is tie rods tight ?

#3 ·
Assuming that the "wander" didn't start until the tires were changed I would look at the tires first.

Many tires when new can have some funny handling characteristics that generally go away after 500-1000 miles.

Another issue may be tire pressure. Too high of tire pressure can make many wheel/tire combos feel pretty sketchy. I run Toyo R/T's on one of my trucks at 42 psi front and 30 psi rear. I had it at the dealer for an update and I told them not to touch the tire pressure. On the way home the truck felt very skittish and seemed to follow every little groove in the road and needed constant steering correction. When I got back to the shop I found that they had put 60 psi in all 4 tires even though they had a max psi of 50. UGH!

#4 ·
The front tires that I replaced were both heavily warn on the insides of the tires. These were BFGoodrich A/T's. I replaced them with Nitto A/T's 8 ply in the front and 10 ply in the rear. The fronts currently have 60 psi and the backs have 70. I tow some heavy loads and don't really like changing my air pressure all to much. Max Pressure on the Tires is 65 front and 80 rear.

Any thoughts on this?

#5 ·
never heard of someone putting different plys on purpose before. I feel you should of put 10ply tires up front to match the rear. The front of these trucks are heavy and then you had the tires wearing even faster because of how the steering system works. You don't rotate tires? I know its a pain but it really lengthens the tire life on these trucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.