Getting trac bar bolts started... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Getting trac bar bolts started...

OK, everyone. This question applies to anyone who has ever removed the two bolts holding the trac bar to the frame. How in the he%# do you get them started back? I installed a leveling kit on my 06 250 today and I have spacers and new bolts for the trac bar, but I could not get the new bolts started in the nut which is located inside the FULLY BOXED frame. There is no way to hold tension on the nut to hold it in place while you start the bolt!!! The nut has a long flange made on it to keep it from spinning inside the frame, but it causes the nut to lay over when you remove the bolt, thus making it almost impossible to get the bolt started. I finally re-installed the old bolt(only took one all the way out) and it took the better part of an hour to get it started in the nut again. I did a search and found nothing related to this, so there must be something I am doing wrong if no one else has ever had the problem when installing a trac bar or the bolts, at least. Someone please tell me the secret!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 07:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There is an access hole just in front of the coil bucket. Take the nut retainer out and be sure it is not bent and the threads are clean. Be sure the threads on the bolts are clean too and I would coat with anti-sieze or never sieze. Get them hand tight then I would use an impact if you have one to suck the bolts tight. I assume the trac-bar is not bolted to the bracket?

When I installed mine, I just used grade 8 hardware, but it is tricky to back-up the nut.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Done! Fixed this problem. I drilled a small 5/16" hole adjacent to the bolt on the outside of the frame. This allowed me to take an old welding rod and press the nut down and hold it in place while starting the new bolt with the spacer installed. Upon further inspection, I found that you can get to the right side nut(or rear) since there is an opening on the inside of the frame that allows you to reach the nut with your fingers. Sprayed hole with undercoating real good to prevent rust and good to go. Maybe this will save someone else the possible trouble they may encounter trying to install the trac bar bolts.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by csekar443 View Post
i hope you're not driving it like that....

with the jeep sitting at ride height, take the frame side off. get a Cobalt steel or TiN coated "X" size drill bit and lots of lube (coconut oil works good). drill the bolt for 10 seconds, pull it out, relube, drill for 10 seconds, relube. repeat until you're most of the way or all the through the bolt. might take an hour or more, but make sure you continue to remove material. you'll need to be at least through the nut on the backside. now start yanking on the track bar. the "X" size drill bit is slightly larger than 10mm, the stock bolt size. you will destroy the bolt, the nut on the backside and possibly the tab. if the "X" drill bit isn't making good progress within the first 5 seconds, use a Cobalt steel 3/16" bit to make a pilot hole. lots and lots and lots of lube, keep the steel cool or it will work harden. don't push overly hard or you'll break the bits...

What in the world are you talking about? He was just asking how to hold the nut, to get the bolt started lol

Last edited by Evil Eye; 09-30-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.