Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Shaking when hubs are locked in

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jokester00 
#1 ·
Im new to the group and have tried everything i know to try and i need some help, story is.. 05 6.0 truck, i locked my hubs in and put truck in 4wd high, to go up an undeveloped driveway, go to the top and forgot to take it out of 4wd and turned the wheel to the left very sharp to turn around pulling a small trailer, (at a very slow speed less than 1-2 mph)truck started scooting and bouncing and getting in a obvious bind, so i realized what i had done so i pushed it out of 4wd back into 2wd, (my 4wd is in the floor). well i leave and drive down the road and when i turn the wheel left or right the steering wheel shakes and tries to pull it out of your hands and the faster u drive the worser it shakes and the abs light comes on when u turn even the slightiest bit, i thought it was still in 4wd but its not trying to spin the front tires, i tried backing up and getting pressure off it and everything and all these little tricks ive been told about trying and nothing is helping. i unlock my manual hubs and it stops but it feels funny in the front end like something just isnt right, any ideas what it is?? U-joints? transfer case? knuckle? hub in a bind?

#2 · (Edited)
With truck in park, transfer case in 2Hi, and hubs unlocked, you should be able to rotate both front axles by hand (they should have a little resistance, but should still rotate). If they don't, you might have a hub sticking. Turn your wheels all the way to the right to check the front right, and all the way to the left to check your front left (not necessary, but makes it easier). You can also visually check your ABS sensors and wiring while you're down there. If you don't find anything, you can also pull the hubs and see if your "funny feeling" goes away.

-jokester

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.