anyone got bilstein 5125s? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Rockstar Edition Send a message via Yahoo to Rockstar Edition
anyone got bilstein 5125s?

I am getting ready to order new shocks for my new lift and have a few questions?

the shocks im looking at are the bilstein 5125's due to cost as well as due to the amount Im ordering( 4 up front-2 on each corner and 2 in the rear ) so Im ordering 6 total, however Im having my father in law install a 10" lift on my 00 and I need to know what length to order? 10" travel-12" travel or 14" travel....I have the 14s on there now I believe and they ARE LONG!!!! Im assuming I need the 12" travel shocks, or maybe even the 10's? but who has them, how do they ride? how hard are they to keep uncorroded and what's the best tricks to stopping corrosion before it starts?

Chad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
They won't corrode, you should always measure the installed length of the shocks to order new ones..add the lift gained by your kit and subtract the difference in the spring thickness from the stock springs.

Valving can be based on whose springs and your usage.

10" lift..hope your using crossover steering

Cary
Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
Talk to DCSpecial. He got me set up with my bilstien 5100's.. they are great shocks. you may want to consider the 5100's for their lifetime warranty.. i dont think the 5125's have the same warranty on them, you can ask DCSpecial about all of that..
Old 08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Rockstar Edition Send a message via Yahoo to Rockstar Edition
yeah Ill be getting crossover steering, my largest purchase on my next paycheck...I can't measure my shocks due to not even being close to my truck....Im going by a whim here with my measurements and trying to remember what my old 10" kit was....Im not remembering much though....anyone got measurements of their 10" lift shocks? I need the travel distance and such...

Chad
Old 08-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You'll most likely run a 12" travel front and a 14" travel rear in the 5125s with a 10" lift.
Bilstein 5125 - 12 Inch Travel - 5125 Series (Non-specific Application) - Truck Toyz Store
Bilstein 5125 - 14 Inch Travel - 5125 Series (Non-specific Application) - Truck Toyz Store

5125s are a 1yr warranty.

They will rust if you live in an area that puts down road salt (I can take some pics of the ones on my 07 if you want some proof of that as I snow plow with it ). I use a product called Fluid Film. Works great, but you have to be sure to get the entire shock with it, which is much easier on a 00 with a 10" lift vs my 07 with the coil spring right next to the shock. Where I got the fluid film good on the shock it looks like new, but where I didn't get any on it's pretty much solid orange.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Banned

yeah I dont live in an area with alot of salt at all, my wife is in florida right now though, please do post some pics up WITH the fluid film....where did you get that btw? and thanks for the measurements...

Chad
Old 08-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Emergency Services

I put 5125s on my lifted Tacoma and I LOVED how they rode. I got the stiffer valving...what is that, 255/70? I just ordered 4 5125s to replace my 4 blown Ranchos. I can't speak up much for the height you need but they are a great shock.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:59 AM
Banned

what valving should I get for my truck? normal everyday driver NEVER sees dirt or mud, heck it barely sees the sand, it's a pavement queen......what's my best route and I want the softest ride I can get out of these shocks.....my 24s kill me with the low sidewall.........I didnt say I wanted the best IE KING......I SAID the best ride OUT OF THESE SHOCKS LOL.......price is an issue RIGHT now, they'll be getting replaced for better around tax season...
Old 08-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Emergency Services

I got the stiff valving for my Tacoma and it was fine. These trucks are much heavier than my Tacoma was so I feel like anything less than the stiff valving would be too soft. I can't help but think the soft valving would essentially be useless on our trucks but without having tried it, i could be wrong!
Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yea but if your doing dual fronts i would go with he softer valving for each for the fronts..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.