Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Sway bars and/or traction bars? Recommendations?

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mhatlen 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 F250 7.3 Crew Cab with 6.5" lift on 37's. Bought the truck without front or rear sway bars. It used to have traction bars but apparently a previous owner removed those as well. I have noticed the back end will sway some if I make a quick lane change or turn too fast. How much will either help? Should I add both?

New to forum..

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I would skip the sway bar for now and add the traction bars and see if you like it.

Here is a set from One Up Offroad that I put on my Fathers stock truck. Only ones in my opinion that work the way they are supposed too and the only ones I would recommend. The suspension can still flex due to the front frame bushing mount. You can tow or add airbags to the setup. The are also adaptable in length so you can mount them where you want or if you decide to take them off your truck they will fit on and cab/bed configuration. You can get setups that replace your blocks or get a simple easy lower axle bolt on mount. Easy to install, I did my fathers truck right in the driveway. You pretty much get the same set that a dude with 1,000 horsepower and running 40's has....LOL.

Here are a couple videos of trucks in action...

Reactions: katelin.perkins
#4 ·
Sway bars typically come on your truck stock. They keep the truck from swaying when you corner and other things. Traction bars keep the rear axle, driveline, and even the tranny happy. Just watch the videos above.

#7 ·
If your truck is leaning into turns or swaying like you say and it bothers you by all means get yourself some sway bars. You might feel a big improvement having one up front. Which is where most trucks have them but you can also put one in the rear.

Traction bars are for keeping the rear axle from nosing up from torque. Usually not needed unless you have lots of power along with a heavy foot. Can get a driveline vibration under power since pinion can arch up under heavy power. They will NOT help you control body roll in turns.

ZMANN spelled it out in basics. This should help you know what both do for the truck.

#9 ·
Hellwig makes some really nice sway bars for our trucks. Way to go for sure.

Reactions: katelin.perkins
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.