Which lift for a better ride? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Suspension & Steering Discuss OEM & aftermarket suspension, lifts, air ride suspension, shocks, steering components, etc.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which lift for a better ride?

I have a 01 f250 that has a 8" superlift on it now...I would like to change it for something else to get a little better ride. Was looking at either coil/coil over front end setup or a all air front and rear setup or ?

Any recomendations? Who has either of those setup's? how does it ride? I will towing a Toy hauler in the next rear or two if that makes a differnce.

thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2009, 04:41 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Dig deep in those pockets for the stuff you mentioned or just swap around some shocks. ICON, Bilstein, FabTech all have some serious shock upgrades that would allow you to just swap shocks instead of a whole lift kit.

ICON or Deaver Springs should have some 8" springs you could swap in place of the SuperLift stuff. Nice ride but check with them about load ratings.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:48 AM

you could go with a hanger kit and less arched springs. that should make a smother ride also. Say sky 4" hangers, 4" springs and a set of trac bars. Good shocks make a world of difference also.

micky
Old 08-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I may take a look into couple of those options, maybe some sponsors can voice their opinion as well.

I currently have Bilstein 5100 duels in the front corners and a single 5100 in the rear corners.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Subscribing, I'd like to see what else they have to say.

I too was in search of a smoother ride for a while, but the price of it drove me away. Found a couple Kelderman kits on ebay and Craigs list, still 5k used. Then found a brand new one 11k. And when you already have a lift, its hard to drop 4k and 5k on a coil over conversion

So....I gave up.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Since I bought the truck with the lift on it, I would spend 3-5k on a something that would give a better ride, but if i can get away with just changing out springs and different shocks to get a little better ris that should be under 3k i think.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:00 PM

I run Icon 4.5" hangers up front with Icon 4" springs for a 8.5" lift. In the rear I run Icon 8" springs and a 1.25" tapered block (due to my custom driveline).

If you want to go coilover....Full Traction conversion:
Full Traction 8 Inch 4-Link I.C.G Conversion - Late 1999-2004 F250/350 4wd - 2000-2004 F250/F350 SRW 4wd - Truck Toyz Store
Old 08-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSpecial View Post
I run Icon 4.5" hangers up front with Icon 4" springs for a 8.5" lift. In the rear I run Icon 8" springs and a 1.25" tapered block (due to my custom driveline).

Full Traction 8 Inch 4-Link I.C.G Conversion - Late 1999-2004 F250/350 4wd - 2000-2004 F250/F350 SRW 4wd - Truck Toyz Store
How's the ride on that setup your running? What would be the cost on something like that? what shocks are you running?

Also, would I just need the hangers and springs since i have a 8" lift already? same for rear, just springs?

Last edited by Sting; 08-07-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSpecial View Post

on that coilover system how much are we lookin at for some GOOD shocks?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
How's the ride on that setup your running? What would be the cost on something like that? what shocks are you running?

Also, would I just need the hangers and springs since i have a 8" lift already? same for rear, just springs?
My truck rides pretty well. I run Icon reservoir shocks front and rear.

Icon Vehicle Dynamics 1999-2004 FSD 4.5" Front Spring Hanger Kit - Front Suspension Location - Truck Toyz Store
Icon Vehicle Dynamics 2000-2004 FSD 4" Front Plush Ride Spring Kit - Front Suspension Springs - Truck Toyz Store

Icon Vehicle Dynamics 1999-2007 FSD Plush Ride 8" Rear Leaf Springs - Rear Suspension Springs - Truck Toyz Store

You should be able to reuse your current box kit.
I'd go with Bilsteins or Icon shocks for the best ride.

Or step up to a 2.5" diameter shock for the best control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko37 View Post
on that coilover system how much are we lookin at for some GOOD shocks?
For a 2.5" diameter remote reservoir coilover you would be looking at $1400-1600 for the pair.

Rear shocks could be $140-800+ depending on what you go with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.