Tranny Heat Issues??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Stealth Automotive Stealth Automotive

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Tranny Heat Issues???

Well guys i had been having some heat issues with my trans since early this year... i regeared my truck and the higher RPM's was creating more heat. My normal driving temps were around 180-190 and my highway were in the 190+ unless i did some hills and it would easily get to 200+ degrees.... i already had a secondary cooler with a fan and it still wouldnt get the heat low enough. This is with my bed empty.. i couldnt imagine what it would be while towing..... also i would try and keep my RPMS under 2k because as soon as i would go higher the heat would rise faster

Well a few weeks ago i decided to make a big change since i knew i was going to pismo dunes this weekend and was gonna be on the higway for a few hours with the bed full of fire wood and beer

I installed a larger Pan, 6.0L cooler and switched to Amsoil Synthetic ATF.

I was shocked and amazed at the difference. I saw a 60 degree drop. i pushed my truck harder than i would normally drive it ( 2400RPMs) the whole way their going up hill for at least an hour. i coudnt get my trans hotter than 150 the whole way...

even when i was off-roading in the dunes not babying it at all i only saw 165

overall im very pleased at the setup and no longer am worried on my trans temps....

so if your trans is getting a lil too hot let me know and we can def set you up and drop those temps...

oh just FYI but the 6.0L cooler took me 30 min to install... total time was around 2 hours and that was with flushing the trans..

PM me if you need any prices

-Raul
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2008, 06:49 PM
powerstrokin

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drz400smoto
that sounds great Raul I just added a larger pan and a in line filter, so my next step mite be a 6.0 cooler.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to turbolariat
hey Raul,

how many miles do you have on your transmission?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolariat View Post
hey Raul,

how many miles do you have on your transmission?
well my trans already crapped out on me last year... so i have around 40k on this trans... but on the truck total im just over 100k
Old 07-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

How much are the 6.0l coolers? Mine sees 220 pulling fire roads with a trailer (Slow Driving winding roads) and 180 when its 95 out normal driving.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer1 View Post
How much are the 6.0l coolers? Mine sees 220 pulling fire roads with a trailer (Slow Driving winding roads) and 180 when its 95 out normal driving.
the cooler is not cheap... new its 392.99... you will need some 1/2 hose and the adapter's to make it fit the smaller lines in the 7.3L.. thats around another 50 bucks
Old 07-14-2008, 07:04 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
the cooler is not cheap... new its 392.99... you will need some 1/2 hose and the adapter's to make it fit the smaller lines in the 7.3L.. thats around another 50 bucks
Oh wow time to start searching ebay. But if they work like that time to start saving.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to turbolariat
well i recently just discovered that my tranny pan gasket has craped out and leaking pretty well.

so i was goin to replace it, but i would like to do the 6.0 cooler and maybe the amsoil while im at it....i dont think i have the money for the aftermarket pan right now.

reason being for the cooler and such, i am goin to be on my way to indiana in september for MotoGP races it about a 1500 mile trip and im already hittin 160 around town maybe 150 on the highway.

so do you sell the 6.0 coolers and what kinda prices could you get me for that set up.

thanks Raul

dave
Old 07-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolariat View Post
well i recently just discovered that my tranny pan gasket has craped out and leaking pretty well.

so i was goin to replace it, but i would like to do the 6.0 cooler and maybe the amsoil while im at it....i dont think i have the money for the aftermarket pan right now.

reason being for the cooler and such, i am goin to be on my way to indiana in september for MotoGP races it about a 1500 mile trip and im already hittin 160 around town maybe 150 on the highway.

so do you sell the 6.0 coolers and what kinda prices could you get me for that set up.

thanks Raul

dave
i def sell them... but honestly 160 is not hot at all.... i wouldnt start worrying until you hit 200+ degrees.... i dont to sell you one if you dont need it because they are expensive.... i think if you just went with the Amsoil ATF you will be fine... maybe add a small secondary cooler that is cheaper... in the $120.00 price range if your really want to add a cooler.... let me know if your interested bud and ill PM you a price on whatever you decide on

-Raul
Old 07-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
i def sell them... but honestly 160 is not hot at all.... i wouldnt start worrying until you hit 200+ degrees.... i dont to sell you one if you dont need it because they are expensive.... i think if you just went with the Amsoil ATF you will be fine... maybe add a small secondary cooler that is cheaper... in the $120.00 price range if your really want to add a cooler.... let me know if your interested bud and ill PM you a price on whatever you decide on

-Raul

When switching over to amsoil do you have to ensure all the old fluid out or is it just like a normal oil change but add the TC drain also. Cause im scared to go and get a tranny flush.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.