ok ok--now, what gun to buy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Gun Show!

Whats a good semi-auto to buy....thats fairly reasonable price wise.and....whats a great handgun to get....again, fairly reasonable. I dont really want to spend 1k on a hangun, but what is the best bang for the buck (and reliable!)

Going to my first gun show this weekend.

WHOO!

See update in last post....

Last edited by kinghawg98; 11-16-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 11:41 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I like my Springfield xd 9mm. I paid about 400 for it but that was 5 years ago. With the demand jumping so much this last week I dont know what they would run for now.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Project Abused

Depends on what you need it for.
Hunting Rifle? Home Defense? Plinkering?
Carrying? Plinkering? What
Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 AM

Concealed carry, defense and fun... in that order I think. Basically a jack of all trades type handgun.

CHL is on the way, so that would be needed.

I would like a long rife as well, just for shooting, not hunting as much
Old 11-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Project Abused

IMO 1911 is the best carry hand gun out there, carry it condition 1 and ready to go.
AR15s are good rifles for fun and can be practicable.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
I just baught a springfield xd .40 compact. I love it!

Old 11-16-2008, 03:27 PM

So I went to the show this weekend in Houston- At the George R Brown. Not as big as I was expecting and a few vendors were packing up hours early...

I liked how the 1911s felt, I liked the Taurus, Beretta and I think the Sig Sauer was ok in my hand. All in the .38-40 cal range. The Walthers were pretty ok too. Of those manufacturers are the most reliable?

What about ammo cost? whats the most reasonable/shot?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:14 PM
Emergency Services

Whatever you buy, make sure that it is not a Smith & Wesson Sigma. This is the gun that was bought for the Iraqi police, since they knew that they might as well just be shipping them strait to the bad guys. It is so bad, if you have to have some one shooting at you, just hope it is a Sigma they are using. Poor dude on here bought one unknowingly, and was lucky enough to find some non Powerstroke.org person to buy it off of him for about half of what he paid for it.

1911's are always a good reliable choice, and as far as brands, there isn't really any bad ones. Taurus used to be the cheapy gun, but nowadays they are not a bad choice either. I would rather have the 1911 or the Sig (in any of it's calibers). Not really fond of Beretta. Especually in their M9 (I forget what the civilian version is called) variety. It is a big HEAVY clunky gun. I am not up to speed on their new releases.

I also like the ever reliable and cheap Ruger P-series guns. I have a p95, and it is solid (somewhat blocky though) and reliable. I bought mine for $280 about 10 years ago, and in that time the value has only gone up. Currently it is worth about $340.

And finally, the last recommendation I have to make is Glock. I don't like them because the are about as comfortable as holding a brick, but they have a lot going for them. They are just about the standard the world over for security agencies. Even a used one is a good bet. It won't let you down.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:27 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

If you are going to carry it, you don't want a bulky gun. I bought the wife and myself both bersa 380 ACP's. They are a good carrying gun and are pretty accurate. They run around 250-300 each.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've carried a 1911 .45 for fifthteen years and recently bought a Springfield XD 9mm subcompact. I paid about $450.00 for mine.I love my Xd. Its shoots great and is small enough to carry concealed.The XD subcompact comes with holster, double clip holster, clip loading tool and gunlock.It comes with two clips also, 10 and 16 round clip.I carry mine with the 16 round clip.The XD is a very safe pistol because you must grip the gun and pull the trigger to make it fire.Go to the Springfield web site and check them out. Springfield Armory I went and voted and then bought my pistol the same day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.