6.0 SCT tunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Spartan Diesel Technologies Spartan Diesel Technologies

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 05:46 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 SCT tunes

I pulled down those free tunes off the Windows Live site and I absolutely love the Hybrid race. That off-idle wicked throttle response and torque is exactly what I've always wanted. Thing is it idles around 850rpms, about 200 high and adjustments in my Livewire make no difference. Also sometimes when I'm stopping at a light or sign it'll idle closer to 1000rpms and for some reason if I give the brake a harder push it'll drop back down to 850ish...

I'm assuming this is because the tune is for an auto vehicle and I'm running a 6speed. VXAN0 tune btw.

Also I tend to drive & shift by throttle only using the clutch when absolutely necessary. Today when it was only partially warmed up (around 132-134*) I gave her the usual downshifting throttle blip and it hesitated/coughed and gave more of grey smoke than black which I hadn't seen before. Is that normal for not being completely warmed up or something?

Another thing is it seems like I have a miss...I thought it was stiction before since it happened until warmed up good, but only really noticeable while accelerating at part throttle...Now with Hybrid race it accelerates fine, but seems to have a miss at idle every now and then even when warm...Thoughts?

Some random questions there. My main purpose of this post though is I'm told y'all can fine tune the free tunes for the cost of a usual custom. Is this so? How do I do it and how much $$ am I looking at just for one tune? PM is fine if you'd rather.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 06:15 PM

I had all those tunes and they kept killing my injectors i dont know why, i had to replace four of them untill i bought the innovatives tunes...they where fast no doubt but not even the ultra competition is close to innovatives extreme race

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

I heard of tranny problems for the auto guys, not worried about that...Haven't read anything relating to injectors, I'll look into it some more.......

But since you brought it up, could you explain the set of circumstances that make you so positive the tunes killed your injectors? How you maintained your oil/What kind of oil/filters. What kind of fuel, filters/change intervals, if you use additives and which ones if so, etc....
Old 02-24-2012, 10:26 PM

my mechanic which is a ford tech told me that tune was pushing the injectors to the limit and it kept killing them...i never had any injector problems even before the spartan when i had an edge chip...now that i have the custom tunes no injector problems, also when i put my spartan hybrid the truck starts to have a miss on injectors...the aggresive street was my favorite didnt really push my injectors alot and shifting was almost the same as my extreme street

Old 02-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Premium Member

Well thanks for not answering my questions.....If I trusted all mechanics then I'd fork over the money for them to do the work that I currently choose to do on my own.

I'm not saying your wrong, I simply don't like taking on a new opinion based on someone's (whom I do not even know) word. Spitting out a new ideal and expecting people to believe it with no supporting evidence to back it up is for sheep; your talking to a sheepdog. I mean how did the mech pinpoint the problem specifically and Soley on the Spartan tunes? He probably didn't, just picked something to blame it on instead of telling you the truth which is sh*t happens, stuff breaks. How much control of the injectors can an ECM only tune have over the FICM?

With the info you've given it could've just as easily been a coincidence that your injectors went out at the time. Or maybe the tune just makes it more obvious that you have injectors that are already bad, which is the feeling I'm getting in my case. Even Bill at PHP noticed a slight miss in my truck on a stock tune.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:02 PM

if you are posting on the forum you should expect opinions, im not telling you what to do, if you want to run FREE tunes just to save a few dollars go ahead im just giving my opinion, im spending my time and instead of being thankfull you start talking sht, if you dont want to hear other things rather than what you think dont even post on the org

Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg_064 View Post
Well thanks for not answering my questions.....If I trusted all mechanics then I'd fork over the money for them to do the work that I currently choose to do on my own.

I'm not saying your wrong, I simply don't like taking on a new opinion based on someone's (whom I do not even know) word. Spitting out a new ideal and expecting people to believe it with no supporting evidence to back it up is for sheep; your talking to a sheepdog. I mean how did the mech pinpoint the problem specifically and Soley on the Spartan tunes? He probably didn't, just picked something to blame it on instead of telling you the truth which is sh*t happens, stuff breaks. How much control of the injectors can an ECM only tune have over the FICM?

With the info you've given it could've just as easily been a coincidence that your injectors went out at the time. Or maybe the tune just makes it more obvious that you have injectors that are already bad, which is the feeling I'm getting in my case. Even Bill at PHP noticed a slight miss in my truck on a stock tune.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikishaka View Post
if you are posting on the forum you should expect opinions, im not telling you what to do, if you want to run FREE tunes just to save a few dollars go ahead im just giving my opinion, im spending my time and instead of being thankfull you start talking sht, if you dont want to hear other things rather than what you think dont even post on the org
Ummm...The entire purpose of starting this thread was to get a hold of Spartan and Pay for a refined tune after testing out the sample.

I'm asking the questions necessary to find out if what your saying is correct so that I can avoid potentially damaging more than is normally expected with hot tunes. I'm fine with opinions and theory, as long as there's logical reasoning behind them.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Just an update........I changed back to SCTs canned tune and the suspected miss/stiction is completely gone.....I'm assuming it was actually pre-ignition I was having. Could the more aggressive injection timing have caused this?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
i loved hybrid race when i was running it. it still gets the best mileage of any tune i have ran. i think its just confused with the whole auto tune on a manual. i used to get gray smoke as well when not warmed up. when warmed up it was DARK black. also on cold start i got white smoke. sometimes id be sitting at a stoplight or in a parking lot and it would go to 1k. which completely gets you off guard at a stoplight. it would power brake like that for a second then go back to normal. same way in park it would rev and go back to normal. it would lope occasionally as well. its kind of a crazy tune. are you sure its a miss or is it more of a lope. you have a pyrometer i hope? hybrid race runs Extremely hot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.