First Pull tonight! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Sled Pulling How-to, FAQs

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 06:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Pull tonight!

Despite the butterflys, I'm excited to get my first ever pull in tonight. I'll post up with my results, and what I break

Any advice is appreciated, I know to lock hubs, I'm strapping my front end down, turning the wheel slitghtly left and right, and to start off slow, and then hammer it down. 3rd gear, 4lo. Anything else that could help me out?

Thanks guys, and ill post back shortly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Good luck, can't wait to hear about it! Think you pretty much covered it though
Old 07-26-2013, 06:44 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Keep the wheels straight, no reason to saw at the wheel, not gonna help ya any. If you feel the truck start to bounce or hop, let off the throttle. If something doesn't sound or feel right, let off the throttle. Just remember to NEVER touch your brakes, unless you feel like getting some new dents.

My first time hooking i was nervous as heck, probably the most nervous i've ever been, because i was so worried about destroying the truck. Took it slow and steady down the track, and didn't do too bad, but far from good. 2nd hook i wasn't as worried, and let her eat. This week i've got 2-3 hooks planned, so i'm starting to get more comfortable with it. But after your first time, your hooked(pun intended) for life! I'm already planning several thousands of dollars of upgrades just to get my truck half-competitive.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:49 AM

I would recommend airing down a bit in the front. I always pulled better with about 10psi lower in the front than the back, i usually ran like 50/40 depending on the track. If it doesn't bounce i wouldn't start off slow, the quicker/faster you get that slurred moving the more momentum you'll have to help carry you further.

I haven't pulled with my 08 yet but have been reading about those who did and ive gathered I'm going to use tow haul and 3rd gear, of coarse 4low. I'm waiting to pull till i get wrap bars and front 4link.

Good luck.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel View Post
I would recommend airing down a bit in the front. I always pulled better with about 10psi lower in the front than the back, i usually ran like 50/40 depending on the track. If it doesn't bounce i wouldn't start off slow, the quicker/faster you get that slurred moving the more momentum you'll have to help carry you further.

I haven't pulled with my 08 yet but have been reading about those who did and ive gathered I'm going to use tow haul and 3rd gear, of coarse 4low. I'm waiting to pull till i get wrap bars and front 4link.

Good luck.

Okay, I forgot about the tire pressure, I was told going slow for the first second or two helps build the turbo up, then you put it to the floor after the sled is moving, but your plan sounds better!

Thanks for the luck, going to need it! Im excited!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 AM

That's why you see pullers sit there for a few seconds before they pull, they're spooling up so they can take off with more power and get things rolling. Before you go try a couple of 4lo launches in the dirt so you can know how much throttle you're brakes will hold, hold you're brakes and throttle till you start building boost, release brakes and hang on.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDiesel View Post
That's why you see pullers sit there for a few seconds before they pull, they're spooling up so they can take off with more power and get things rolling. Before you go try a couple of 4lo launches in the dirt so you can know how much throttle you're brakes will hold, hold you're brakes and throttle till you start building boost, release brakes and hang on.
Awesome, ill give that a shot!

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:43 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A big reason pullers build boost at the line is because the turbo's are so big, and they're running higher gears. If you tried to just roll out with a large 2.6 or 3.0 turbo and don't have all your ducks in a row, it won't spool and you'll just sit there.

I creep out for a foot or so then start to roll into WOT, that helps to get the chassis and everything loaded and isn't shocking the driveline. Its easier on parts, easier on the truck, should help to prevent bouncing, but it might cost ya a few feet.

There's no real right way to do it, just gotta figure out what works the best for your truck and the track.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:10 PM

X2

In my 97 7.3 with the h2e turbo kit i couldn't do a foot brake type spool up, it wouldn't build any boost without adding enough throttle to start pushing thru the brakes. I had to go to neutral and rev it up hard to get it to build any kind boost. Then when i put it back in gear and took off there was just enough lag for the suspension to load up and hook before it lit and took off, pushed it into 2nd and let er eat pushing that throttle thru the floor. There's not a better legal rush than that feeling right there.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:40 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
where you pulling tonight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.