First pull - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Sled Pulling How-to, FAQs

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First pull

Ok fellas...I am thinking about hookin to the sled at the TS event. I have never hooked with my truck before and have only pulled twice in my life. Any pointers and advice will be greatly appreciated. I am not looking to drag it out the back door...just wanna have fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2008, 08:18 AM
one day at a time

I've been debating on whether to hook up down there too... I'm hoping they'd have a somewhat mild class with no hanging weights for part timers like you and me to compete in... As far as any tips/tricks, do you have an auto tranny or a hand shaker?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

i have always been told by a buddy who pulls with an auto low range, and he starts out in 1 and then will let it shift to 2. I just have had the guts to hook to a sled yet either
Old 02-03-2008, 08:45 AM
MARSOC > Seals

good idea Joe.. that might be some fun I might just have to try.... never have done it before at all... but if I don't do it don't worry Joe I will have the digital camera and get a video of you if you really do it
Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
all i have to say is dont be mad if u break a u joint or drive line etc....... its a risk i think we know about and fear but just throwing a pointer out there. i would differently build your boost before taking off!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

do the boost hoses on the PSD blow often? I have seen so many dodges blow em but never a PSD. I saw a old ragged out 350 at a truck pull one time with a DT466 in it, that was a power truck. So much power it made the side walls of tires roll
Old 02-03-2008, 09:01 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
i have never heard of them doing that! but if u are pushing big power like that then i would build everything up so u dont have a problem!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 AM
one day at a time

Best advise I can give you Joe, and remember this: When the flag man gives you the green flag, it DOES NOT mean go right now! Take your time, breath... Take 15-30 secs. to go over what you're going to do in your mind. I noticed in your sig you have a E4OD auto, I'd run it in 2nd gear, 4LO. If you run out of gear you can always let it have 3rd. I don't know if you'll build much boost at the line, I think you'll overpower your brakes before you get much boost in low range. Give it what you can and when you start to overpower your breaks let off the brake pedal and ease in to it. Get it rolling just a little bit and STOMP on it. If you start to hop let out else you'll break something. Keep in to it and don't let off the throttle until the flag man waves the red.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:34 AM

sounds fun....how do they hook up the sleds?
Old 02-03-2008, 09:51 AM

U have to have a clevis to hook up or some sort of ring in ur receiver to do it. Hitch height is usually 26 inches off the ground. Joe with your truck id start off in 2nd as Kurt said. Off the line build some boost but not too much and ease into it and get the sled moving. Then put it to the floor and make the straightest line you can. And of course run 4 low. once u top out 2nd gear, which you will, shift to third. When you feel ur RPMs dropping towards the end of your run downshift to second and then back to low til the red flag waves.

If you are worried bout breakin parts, bring the obvious ones with you: U-joints, yokes, etc.

Ryan, if you are wanting to pull your truck its a totally different story since you have a single plate full Feramic clutch. 4 low, 3rd gear(in your six speed,) and here is the bad part. you will have to slip the clutch off the line a little bit. I usually run up to about 1200 RPM with my full ceramic clutch and SLOWLY let out the clutch at first but once you feel it start to engage drop the clutch and hammer down. Yes its going to bog down but ur not slipping your clutch too much and it will get back on top of your turbo. trust me on that one. Ur gonna feel sluggish off the line but once your turbo spools keep her straight and steady and dont let the clutch in til that red flag waves.

pay more attention to the first 9 seconds of this video for how i usually launch my single plate.

The higher you rap the truck up to launch the more you will slip it before the clutch grabs and by that point ull probably be past the 75ft mark and screwed or just roasted your new clutch. Good luck with your first times, mine most likely wont make BG. unless ryan wants to bring me the front tires i need to pull since my front diff is still geared differently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.